Railroad Forums 

• Travel Apprehensions, Anyone?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1563067  by Gilbert B Norman

Admittedly, this topic is inspired by one moving forth at another site, but, since some like myself, do not participate there, let's see what we can do with same around here.

The question; to what extent do you feel comfortable traveling about by any transportation, private or commercial, during the COVID era?

I'll lead off; while I, along with I think most others around here, have curtailed non-essential travel "for the duration", there are some who participate at one or more other sites, still feel this compulsion.

OK, maybe "I'm a chicken", considering I have not been further than five miles away from home, have driven some 1300 miles, forgotten what a restaurant, symphony concert, hotel, commercial transportation, and even a public restroom, are all about since "the beginning", I'm astounded at anyone who still does any kind of discretionary travel.

Apparently all too many of those who do seem to object to the Federally imposed mask mandates covering all modes of commercial transportation. Obviously this includes Amtrak - and apparently Sleepers as well.

On an airplane or Amtrak Coach it's "best get with the program", for as some who blatantly flaunt such find "Two in Blue" awaiting their arrival. Now so far as traveling Sleeper, I don't know how any such mandate could be enforced. Could there be en-route "shakedowns"? While room doors apparently cannot be opened from the outside, what's to say that the "Two..." are not waiting at destination for an offender?

If I were confronted with a family emergency in Greenwich CT (78yo Sister with "health issues"), I'd probably be behind the wheel for the 17hr two fuel-stops only run (normally "break" Clarion PA EW, Akron WW). I'd like to think that the Hyatt in Greenwich at which I always stay is properly sanitized. Honestly, I'm scared to go on a flight, and would not be looking forward to the quarantine period now imposed by Illinois on my return.

My public space contact is limited to (masked of course) fifteen minutes stops at the grocery store, as well as five minutes at the dry cleaners and bank. Fast food has been by means of the only means available at present - drive up (has caused one of my auto's rims to get chewed up).

The only major exception to that was this past Wednesday for VAX-1 where the entire process took about an hour. So far, no side effects to speak of, but I'm told it might be different for VAX-2 set for March 3.
 #1563100  by jonnhrr

For me, I am more reluctant to travel due to the lack of things to go to, given that so much has been cancelled, than I am by the fear of COVID. For me I treat it as a bad flu season, taking the usual precautions such as hand washing. I try not to let it affect how I live my life, beyond wearing the obligatory face diaper where necessary to keep the authorities happy.

I am planning to travel to Texas in late March returning by train. It was just too good an opportunity to ride the Texas Eagle which I am unlikely to ride otherwise and I figure a sleeper is pretty safe. I am more concerned about dealing with the patchwork of regulations in the various places I will have to travel through, such as Chicago.

Jon
 #1563105  by R&DB

Mr. Norman;
Thank you for this topic. Although I am 10 years your junior, I too have trepidations about going anywhere further than my mailbox. I just have too many pre-existing conditions to chance it. Enlarged Aorta, COPD, bad lower back, bad knee, etc. We don't even go in the grocery store. We pay them to shop for us and bring to the car and put it in the trunk.
We were hoping to take the Crescent to visit my brother in Atlanta early this Summer, but unless the VAX quantity increases dramatically, that's probably out now. (Here in NJ there is a significant shortage.) When we do go it would only be sleeper or not at all.
 #1563106  by NaugyRR

My girlfriend and I took a trip to Boston from Rhinecliff, NY back in October and we felt perfectly fine. We don't eat in at restaurants and limit our outings to a weekly Stop & Shop/Market32 trip, visits to trusted close friends/family on occasion, and as needed trips to department stores (ie Target, Wal Mart, etc.) We went to see Empire Strikes Back at a Regal over the summer, but it was a late show with assigned seating and there was maybe two or three other people there, and many many rows down.

On our Boston trip we just played it smart. We wore our masks the entire time (except when eating or drinking, in which case we'd pull our masks down while we sipped/bit), sanitized and washed our hands regularly, and kept distance from other passengers. Amtrak was pretty strict about mask use and distancing and I did overhear one conductor remind a passenger on the Empire train back to RHI that she needed to have a face covering. On our layover in NY we went outside instead of sitting in the waiting room and found a bench away from people to pull our masks down for a bit and enjoy some fresh air. In Boston we rode a few of the subway lines without issue and never saw anyone without a face covering.

On the ride back to RHI from Boston we took the Lake Shore and booked a bedroom specifically so we could ride without wearing a mask. We kept the door shut the entire ride from BOS - ALB and any time the attendant stopped by or we went to the cafe car we would put the masks back on.

As johnhrr point out, one major reluctance on traveling is the lack of things to do. In Boston we walked along the harbor and brought food back to the hotel from Faneuil Hall and Kane's Donuts, but that was it. We're going back in late April and hopefully this time we can do the aquarium and maybe a duck boat.

The other thing to consider is quarantine rules. Living in NY gives me free reign over MA and CT, so for the moment our travels are limited.
 #1563107  by eolesen

We haven't stopped traveling. I just keep to the states I know are open for business.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1563111  by Gilbert B Norman

Gilbert B Norman wrote: I have not been further than five miles away from home......,forgotten what a restaurant...….,since "the beginning"
Whoops, I lied.

I did go out to Dinner in Arlington Heights - twenty miles away - during June.

One week later, at a routine six month appointment, my Primary Care provider "gave me hell" for doing so. "Doctor, the tables were outdoors and socially distant; the waitress was masked" meant nothing. "I've kept you healthy, and I intend to keep doing so".

My friend up there, whom I known for some 35 years, understands; "you have a doctor who cares" were her words.
 #1563113  by WashingtonPark

Had my vaccines and will do no traveling until they get rid of the mask mandate, which could be never. If so I'll be doing no long trip traveling. Traveling is expensive and wearing a mask all day is miserable. Seeing everybody else wearing masks is like being in a hospitable ward. Why would I spend a bunch of money to participate in an activity I won't enjoy.
 #1563116  by NaugyRR

Because life is short and they make safe masks that are more comfortable than others. I don't like wearing my mask all the time, and wouldn't do Disney or a big vacation while the mask regulation is enforced, because yes, that's miserable. But you shouldn't limit yourself to absolutely no travel. Day or weekend trips aren't as pricey or long and I've found the two hour train trips I've been on to be a breeze with a mask. Plus you can lower your mask throughout the day in safe spots, it's not like you have to have it glued to your face your whole trip.

Find a more comfortable mask and look into a day trip somewhere, the world is still ours to enjoy, we just have to be a little more careful about it for awhile. The masks aren't forever either.
 #1563118  by Alphaboi

Wearing a mask has literally been the most minor inconvenience I've experienced during the pandemic. I have zero problem with it.. On the other hand my mental health has taken a nose dive from spending almost all my time alone in my apartment. Medication and therapy help, but it's still very bad. At this point I have zero apprehension about traveling as long as I stick to the rules and mask up. I just planned a summer vacation to Chicago (first time on an LD) and I'm confident I'll be vaccinated by then.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

#1563119  by wigwagfan

My travel is mostly limited due to a lack of open activities at the destination, not the unwillingness to travel.

While my last trip out of the region was in January just prior to the start of the pandemic (to New York City) I have since made a week long trip throughout western Montana, another trip to Spokane, and a couple day trips to Seattle (those are down; ordinarily I find myself in the Seattle-Tacoma area once a month or every other month). However, locally I am travelling less simply because most everything is shut down. Last year even most of the outdoor recreational areas were shut down (a foolish endeavor that largely backfired, as it simply made the few remaining open areas super crowded).

This year while I won't be travelling much due to having started a new career, I do plan a couple weekend trips outside the immediate area. But I can assure one thing: 100% of those trips will be by car.
 #1563124  by rohr turbo

I'll feel very comfortable traveling again a few weeks after I'm vaccinated. Expecting that will be this summer. Wife and I are already planning and booking two Europe trips for the fall (fully refundable if virus restrictions prevent travel.) Can't wait to get out in the world again.
 #1563127  by Greg Moore

I have curtailed all business travel in just about a year now (last time was flying to Atlanta in February last year for my annual, and now for several reasons, last peregrination to Georgia in February, most having been done by train).

Beyond that, there's been one trip via car to Buffalo to pick up my son's belongings from college that had been left when he left for break and the closed school. The NY Thruway and the one stop we made on the way back were eerily deserted. During the past year, it's the most "feeling like I'm in a post-pandemic dystopia" I've felt. that was probably May.

Since then, one trip to see my mother (about 30 miles) and a lot of picking, including one trip about 55 miles from home.

In the last 4 months, I don't think I've been more than 15 miles from home.

All travel is minimized.
But I tell you, as soon as I feel safe AND I think I can get a decent meal, I'm probably booking an overnight trip, just to relax and get away!
 #1563160  by west point

Wife and I will be VAX=2 at end of March and feel by end of April will have as good of immunity as will ever be possible. Hopefully Variants immunities will be known by then. Present research seems that Pfizer has kept any other variants from killing anyone /? Anyway MAY seems to be our travel time start.

Still pending is decision to visit others not yet vaccinated which is under debate because of the possibility that someone not vaccinated would cause us to be a carrier to another non vaccinated person. One relative who denies the need to be vaccinated is on my no visit ever list.

Our younger teens and below does present a problem. Research for youngsters to even be allowed to be vaccinated is pending. That brings up the concerns noted in last paragraph.
 #1563168  by NH2060

Until Amtrak lifts their mask mandate I won’t be traveling with them. I’m not going to risk passing out or suffocating from wearing one or TWO (🙄) pieces of fabric for 2+ hours that provide just about zero protection for/from me or anyone else.

I was afraid to death of COVID-19 in the beginning. I drove myself up the wall trying to keep my hands, clothes, etc. sterilized. But since the summer the debates on mask wearing, the merits of constant air cycling, the ridiculous mandates/lockdowns, and general mask cultism mentality thankfully by the Grace of God brought me out of the “sheeple tent”.

I mean it when I say that I would have ZERO fear riding Amtrak or any other form of transport with every other passenger not wearing a mask. Trains are capped at 50% capacity as it is so why the need for masks EVEN WHEN YOU ARE SITTING ON YOUR OWN BY YOURSELF IN YOUR SEAT WITH THE SEATS BEHIND AND IN FRONT OF YOU CLOSED OFF? Not to mention the air filtration cycles have been increased onboard the trains.

I’ve been to the grocery store so many times shopping for myself and for others over the past year that I was more at risk of exposure to COVID-19 there. And yet I still go more often than not. Life has to carry on at some point 🤷‍♂️

And FWIW a close friend who’s autoimmune got it, was sick for a whole month and still suffers lingering effects (heartbeat irregularities, etc.). It’s scary stuff. So my personal take on traveling during this time is not coming from a place of ignorance or “COVID denial”. The virus is 100% real. The continued -not initial- reaction to it is the real pandemic. And it’s effect on rail and transit systems may be irreversible. It’s certainly been extremely costly :(