Railroad Forums 

• Transport Canada proposes PTC system for Canadian railways

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1591409  by JayBee

Transport Canada is proposing a PTC type system for Canadian railways which they are calling ETC "Enhanced Train Control" . The regulation would feature two levels of system, with the lower level providing driver advisories of the Track and Signal condition ahead. The higher level system would force the Engineer to act on the advisories or it would apply a penalty brake application. The higher level system would be overlaid on the lower level system. The notice states that a risk assessment would determine which system would be required. The Notice also states that both CP and CN already have many locomotives equipped with the US PTC system and that that system would be acceptable for the higher level Canadian system.

https://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2022 ... g.html#nc2
 #1596559  by Engineer Spike

When PTC was implemented on my employers lines we had PTC coaches. One mentioned how the Fuel Trip Optimizer runs with PTC to almost run the train itself. Furthermore, he railroads really balked at PTC when it was first mandated about 11 years ago. Now they have done a 180 and have become proponents. My guess is that the Canadian class one systems are more than glad to use the more restrictive system because it goes hand in hand with autonomous operation.