Railroad Forums 

• Transload in Concord NH?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1195910  by joshg1

Monday I spotted a truck tank trailer transferring something in Concord yard. It was north of the tower, closer to the plumbing warehouse. The trailer was a circular tube, narrower diameter than those used for gas + oil, with ribs for support. Does anyone know if PanAm is transloading in Concord or if the truck was pumping out a leaky car? I say PanAm because this was on their tracks and were not the white clay slurry tanks NEGS takes up to Tilton. Can't say any more- about 1pm- wasn't driving- not an an easy place to get to.
 #1196020  by joshg1

Industrial gas- I can see that. There are a few businesses around that sell them from large tanks. I've seen tank cars there for decades, but never a truck. Here's hoping it is new business.
 #1196197  by joshg1

Crude oil tankers were the most common hits on Google images, but where are you going to go with crude at the end of long branch line hundreds of miles from the nearest refinery? Sewage was another possibility.
 #1196271  by Teamdriver

joshg1 wrote:Industrial gas- I can see that. There are a few businesses around that sell them from large tanks. I've seen tank cars there for decades, but never a truck. Here's hoping it is new business.
Dont think it could have been liquid oxy or nitrogen, that would be truck hauled from a local Air Separation Plant . The scarcer gases , liquid argon , helium , hydrogen , would need a big consumer, otherwise it would be truck hauled. Maybe there is a CO2 transload operation, rail to trailer , like Praxair has in Tewksbury Mass .This operation was beside a former air separation plant that became obsolete due to tonnage and electric costs some time ago when it was Liquid Carbonic.
 #1196335  by hh660

Could have been the final part of the cleaning process of the tank car. The truck may have been pumping in an inert type gas to displace residual fumes from a previous shipment to allow the car to be safely used for a new, different cargo.??

S