Railroad Forums 

• Translating radio communication

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1604621  by nineteenletterslong

I recently acquired a Uniden SDS100 scanner since I live next to Morrills corner in Maine and take pictures of the RR often.

Since i am new to this, I was wondering if anyone had a basics on the communication between dispatch and road. I currently have close call alerts set whenever D1 road has communication and it's always very busy where I live. Frequently I will receive communication from the yard in Portland (references to date and time and "single track"), some sort of mile marker computer with a robot voice that I guess is some sort of fault checker system and miscellaneous communications that thankfully reference CPFs and milemarkers but for the life of me I don't have the expertise to know what the dispatch to loc communications mean. How do I know if a WAPO/POWA is approaching for instance, because that nomenclature isn't used?

Has anyone made some sort of guide? I also notice the only timetable I could find was from 2008, is there a newer one?
 #1604634  by markhb

I have no answers to your questions, but welcome to Portland!