Railroad Forums 

• Transatlantic Tunnel?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#38227  by n2xjk

This also was mentioned on the RYPN board...consensus is this is a HOAX.

#38233  by Irish Chieftain

Amazing that they're sending it right to New Jersey, isn't it? Perhaps they're guessing that NYC will be sunken into the Hudson River by that time...?? (Troubling to think of)

There was a thread over on the HSR forum concerning air-evacuated tunnels for Maglev-type trains to run in, at whatever speed you wanted, even supersonic speeds due to no air resistance (and no sonic boom, since sound needs air to travel through). The concept is quite real, but as for trans-Atlantic running, due to the Ocean's "hydraulic pressure" thereof, I'd regard that as unfeasible (and that's the nicest thing one can say about it).

#38239  by n2xjk

Also interesting to note that some of the press releases on the site are dated April 1....

#38245  by Irish Chieftain

They can't make it more obvious than that, of course.

But what an honor to have the tunnel come out in NJ... :P

#38248  by Olton Hall

There was a program about a transatlantic train tunnel on the Discovery Channel a few days ago. But that was looking into the distant future of 2079. I only caught the end of it. It sounded more like a pipe dream than anything that will happen. They even played out the worse case accident, the out of control submarine crashing into the tunnel.
Discovery Channel Transatlantic Tunnel
 #38354  by wantsrail

About 1935 there was a movie called "TransAtlantic Tunnel," starring George Arlis.

The story line included a work stoppage when the drillers ran into a volcano.

But they worked around it.

Actually, the magna flowing out of the MidAtlantic Rift would make building any such tunnel inpossible.

#38367  by sullivan1985

Now just imagine the security they would have in place just in order to board the train...

Sounds cool though, but who knows if we will live to see it in our lives.

#38387  by ChooChooHead2

I'd be willing to bet that a TransAtlantic Tunnel has a better shot than most of the projects on NJ Transit's "2020 Wish-List Map"

#38526  by nick11a

Well, let's compare that estimate to the estimate for the Lackawana Cutoff.

Transatlantic Tunnel: 2009
Lackawana Cutoff: 2025

Something smell fishy to you?

#38873  by CNJFAN

I saw the program on the History Channel a few days ago too.
It was a repeat because I saw it last year.
While the idea sounds great, if it happened in my lifetime, I think I would find the idea of riding this train under water very unsettling and would not go.

#39060  by Ken W2KB

These are similar to the pneumatic tube concepts that have postulated for decades. A similar proposal would build a tunnel from the east to the west coast of the US, with the 'train' essentially falling down, assisted by compressed air and decelerating on the upward part of the last hunderd miles or so. Top speed projected at 1,000 mph or so, the air would be moving at this high rate so no supersonic issues. NYC to SF would be about a 3 to 4 hour trip.
 #39073  by henry6

GEORGE WASHINGTON HAS ANNOUNCED HE IS RUNNING FOR A THIRD BUT NON CONSECUTIVE TERM AS PRESIDENT ON HIS WAR RECORD TO TRY TO DEAL WITH THE IRAQI WAR. THE RUMORS ARE THAT HE IS TORN BETWEEN ABRAHAM LINCOLN AND ANDREW JOHNSON AS VICE PRESIDENT WHILE HIS ADVISORS ARE SUGGESTING ULYSSIS S. GRANT. ALL THREE OF THEM HAVE SOME POST WAR EXPERIENCE WHICH MIGHT AID IN THE SITUATION. WHEN ASKED ABOUT THE ATLANTIC TUNNEL, HOWEVER, HE SAID THAT WAS A PROJECT HE WOULD LEAVE TO FUTURE GENERATIONS DESPITE THE FACT ALEXANDER HAMILTON WAS IN THE PROCESS OF ISSUING BONDS.
 #39210  by henry6

A CONTRACTOR HAS JUST BEEN NAMED AS THE LOW BIDDER FOR THE TRANSATLANTIC TUNNEL IN A NEWS CONFERENCE IN HELL, MICHIGAN. A SPOKESMAN FOR THE CONTRACTOR, TUNNEL RATS INCORPORATED OF HOBOKEN, JOHN "DIZZY" GILLESPIE, WAS QUOTED AS SAYING, "I CAN DIG IT!"