Railroad Forums 

• TRAINSPOTTING ON THE MORRISTOWN & ERIE, 2008

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#607996  by Angus202

Wolf, can you elaborate on "power assembly"? Are you speaking of the PM, Gen, E. Cab fire? Can anyone else chime in on what happened to this engine across the river? Seems this is an indication of a general decrease in traffic on their own lines.. rather than replace the liner on the other RS11 (72?? sitting OOS on the lead just west of 287), they lease out the only other working loco with cab signals to NYCT.
 #608233  by RS115

I would suspect that 20 was sent to NYCT because it was close at the time being at Bayway (or whatever it's called these days) and the NYCT folks might have wanted to stick with an EMD product as they were familiar with them. 18 has cab signals and they're used regularly on NJT. Not sure what other units do - perhaps the ex-Amtrak SW's do. I don't believe 7215 does. As to why they would lease out 20 - why would they or anyone who had a unit available they didn't immediately need turn down income - particularly now. They can always send a unit from Morristown to replace one in Linden. They're not as overrun with excess in-service units as they used to be but there not down to nothing either.
 #608828  by Btkspot89

RS115 wrote:I would suspect that 20 was sent to NYCT because it was close at the time being at Bayway (or whatever it's called these days) and the NYCT folks might have wanted to stick with an EMD product as they were familiar with them. 18 has cab signals and they're used regularly on NJT. Not sure what other units do - perhaps the ex-Amtrak SW's do. I don't believe 7215 does. As to why they would lease out 20 - why would they or anyone who had a unit available they didn't immediately need turn down income - particularly now. They can always send a unit from Morristown to replace one in Linden. They're not as overrun with excess in-service units as they used to be but there not down to nothing either.
I could not agree more with you. However the ME is pretty much down to 18 19 and 20 for their operational uses. 18 is pretty much the work house of Morristown so you can't send that out anywhere for pretty much more then a day. 19 is only god knows where but I am pretty sure it has its hands full as well. With 20 out of service for the time being you really have nothing left. 563 can't go anywhere due to lack of cab signals, 21 is pretty much useless and according to my sources 7215 is pretty much useless as well because of a bad leak somewhere. So really there is not much power the ME could send elsewhere.
 #609370  by Tri-State Tom

SW1500 #20 back in Morristown this morning....needs a bath !

The Amtrak 1200 was up the Hill runaround along with a baggage car ( ex-Amtrak ? ) and the nicely restored ex-Soo hack in Whippany Museum logos.

Anyone know the heritage of the coach that's been gutted/cut-up save for the chassie and end panels ?
 #609490  by RS115

Tom - it was one of the LIRR cars. They chopped it to its current state awhile ago now at S. Jefferson Road. It sat there for a long time before being brought up to Morristown. I have no idea what their intention is for it.