Railroad Forums 

• TRAINSPOTTING ON THE MORRISTOWN & ERIE, 2008

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#515953  by GOLDEN-ARM

No need to sweat it, Jack. That stuff might actually make for an interesting thread, on PV on the M&E. A one stop shop for all the PV stuff as it relates to the M&E and the ME. Feel like getting it started, Jack........? :wink:

#521131  by RS115

They've been moving things around. The Washington Terminal SW-1 has been placed on the Jefferson Road run-around with the Amtrak unit. That was while ago.

Today 18 came east with 563 7205 and 7210 in town returning later with two passenger cars shoving 563 so I assume the two RS-11's are at Whippany.

#521216  by denvillerailfan

Cool.
BTW, Sounded like they were in Roseland this AM (between 9:30 and 10AM). Had to have been crossing Eisenhower pkwy.
I was unable to get out for a visual. :-(

#524711  by Angus202

Passing the ridgedale ave runaround a couple days back, looked like the tarp covering 22's long hood has been removed. I know it was there as there were clearance issues in fitting the hood over the new prime mover, anyone get a closer look or have an inkling what's happening? Also looked like the crossing had been repaved here, anyone see if new ties or rail went along with that?
-Ryan

#524793  by Btkspot89

I too did indeed notice as if it was re paved as for the 22 I know little... I know that it has been sitting there for a while but if they finally have that thing ready it would be nice to see it run

#524812  by GOLDEN-ARM

Topic name changed, from "diesel doings". Enjoy the system spotting thread......... :-D
 #528431  by scavenger33

I sat with my son behind Staples between 10:30 and 11:30am yesterday and did he get a show! We watched a crane move a part in the engine compartmemt of #588. We saw #19 idling. Later #19 was revved up and shut down. Just as we were about to leave #18 pushed a caboose and passenger car "Penobscot Bay" onto the ramp to NJT. When I saw the conductor walk into the shop I speculated that they were delivering the passenger car to the shop. My kid was absolutely pleased when they shuffled equipment to get Penobscott Bay onto the first track next to the shop door. Watching the railroad crew move #563 out of the way to spot the passenger car made his day. There's nothing like a busy shop to keep a 7-year-old mesmerized. He kept busy counting cars on the NJT trains passing in the distance while all this went on in the foreground.

#530793  by RS115

I unfortunately got there a little too late to be close enough to see which cars but around 12:15 or so 18 pushed 4 of the PV's (2 were M&E cars and 1 was one of the observation cars on the west end) out onto Transit and then went east with them. Anyone know of a special move happening?

#534787  by jhdeasy

RS115 wrote:I unfortunately got there a little too late to be close enough to see which cars but around 12:15 or so 18 pushed 4 of the PV's (2 were M&E cars and 1 was one of the observation cars on the west end) out onto Transit and then went east with them. Anyone know of a special move happening?
PENOBSCOT BAY, BIRKEN and MOUNT VERNON are up on the Naugatuck RR in CT ... they have been leased for some scenes in the filming of a Hollywood movie ... cars moved northeast via M&E, NJ Transit, Amtrak, Metro North, Pan Am and Naugatuck ... filming was scheduled for May 7-8th ... the 3 cars are due to start their move home to M&E on Wednesday May 14th. Dealings with Metro North and Pan Am were difficult, to put it mildly, despite the substantial amount of $ those 2 carriers collected for moving the cars.

#535283  by RS115

Noticed the other morning that after literally years of standing as cross-bucks with wires hanging from the fixtures, the lights have finally been installed on at the crossing of the High Bridge branch over Route 46 in Kenvil.

#539838  by RS115

Of late 7210 has been sitting with the other 'stored' units on the Ridgedale Avenue run-around. Late this afternoon a couple of guys from the (I think) M&E mechanical department were up on the short hood and had the cab door open. They were in a non-company vehicle but one I've seen parked regulary at the shop. Couldn't tell what they were up to given the distance but what I found intriguing is that the air filters have been removed from at least one side of the car body - last time I saw the engine it and 7205 both had new paper filters.

Don't know where 7205 is - Whippany? Only thing in the shop yesterday was the 488 which I thought would be headed back north by now. 19 has been sitting parked on the track 4/5 lead.

#542695  by roachcoach1186

the signal gates and lights on eden lane and jefferson road were both broken today. the police, along with im assuming some M&E personel, had to physicaly lift the gate up to allow cars to get through. The lights were one but stuck in one position and weren't flashing.