Railroad Forums 

• TRAINSPOTTING ON THE MORRISTOWN & ERIE, 2007

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#384257  by RS115

Could this be a case of the M&E not being the M&E? I know HO2 doesn't normally go past Summit but could this have been an NS crew using #18? The presence of the bi-level coach is what makes me even more curious - could it have been a delivery or moved from the NJT interchange track to permit access to the Harrsion customer?

#384297  by Sirsonic

The two tank cars are either headed to, or coming from, GEO Chemical in Harrison, the only customer on the Center St Branch. It is not uncommon for the CR job that serves them to leave cars sitting on the industrial, although they usually leave them on the runaround down by the bank in Harrison (behind the former Hartz property). I don't know exactly where on the industrial the 18 is sitting, but I imagine it is down by the runaround if it was west of Hudson. There have been two tank cars sitting on the runaround, the two that are coupled to the 18 might be the same ones. If there was a multi-level car sitting east of it, that would explain why the SK job left the cars, and the 18, there rather than taking it all with them.

#384310  by blockline4180

I think i misunderstood Tri-State Tom! I was under the impression he worked in Morristown so I "assumed" he spotted M&E hauling the tank cars from Morristown down to Kearny.. I guess I'm wrong!

#384576  by Tri-State Tom

PVRX -
Perhaps "Hudson"
Indeed.

Since I was 'fanning' at both locations that day twas an obvious error in posting.

#390729  by Tri-State Tom

Nice switching action in Morristown this morning....

First, C424 #18 was awakened and maneuvered with M&E hack #4 to a hitch with Pennsy Alder Falls and one of the ex-Amtrak coaches. They were pulled out of the yard where #18 then reversed and shoved all up the hill abreast of the run around track where 5 ADM tank cars had been spotted. #18 then unhitched and reveresed just past the hill switch, took the run around to retreive the tanks and then back up to re-hitch to the #4, Alder Falls and Amtrak coach on the main. At about 9:10, #18 then headed East on the Whippany line with the 5 tanks, hack and the 2 coaches.

While the above was in progress, the little Plymouth toy whatchamacallit emerged from the barn with one of the ex-Alco trucks gently in tow. The red and white mobile crane then emerged from the 'hanger' track and stabilized itself on the pad. The Plymouth then switched over to the hanger track where the truck was positioned to be lifted off the rails.

I had to leave at this point but a nice morning.

Oh and the SW1200 #557 was sitting just outside the barn getting some light maintenance attention as well.

#390940  by RS115

The train Tom described came east and was dumped under route 287. 18, running light, then crossed Eden Lane and did some switching of the stuff being scrapped with 265 (F-40)along for the ride. After things were set he grabbed his train and went east.

He returned a couple of hours later shoving the hack and a couple of the Pennsylvania passenger cars (sorry couldn't see which ones through the trees). 265 did some switching of the scrap stuff later and then apparently departed east to Whippany as it was gone when I left work.

#391456  by PVRX1

C425 4264 is leaving the M&E. 4264 will soon call the Western New York & Pennsylvania / Livonia Avon & Lakeville family home.

JH/PVRX

#391523  by denvillerailfan

18 came to the WYE this morning to turn the "Alder Falls" and the "Kitchi Gammi Club" cars.

Got a few shots I'll post.

#392081  by thebigham

PVRX1 wrote:C425 4264 is leaving the M&E. 4264 will soon call the Western New York & Pennsylvania / Livonia Avon & Lakeville family home.

JH/PVRX
Thanks!

#392825  by RS115

The Sunday afternoon line-up at Morristown:
18 with hack#4 4264 Army Plymouth and 7215.
 #393110  by thebigham

M&E's RS11s:

7204 - stored at Lake Junction
7206 - scrapped 4/07
7207 - scrapped 4/07
7208 - scrapped 4/07
7211 - scrapped 4/07
7212 - stored at Lake Junction
7213 - scrapped 4/07
7214 - scrapped 6/06
7215 - in service
7216 - scrapped 6/06
Last edited by thebigham on Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#393115  by grink

As of about 1pm today they had:
7215 with 291 behind
7299 plymouth
557 with a pullman car (they took it out for a bit and it made a good photo op for 4264)

some pics of 4264:
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=731829
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=731830

and the yard:
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=731832

#393355  by RS115

Took a ride at lunch time today. Up at the Jefferson Road crossing the scrappers are moving at a brisk pace on the RS-11s with the two closest in already having lost part of their frames. If the weather holds I expect the action will be pretty much over within a week - two at the most.

Stopped down to Whippany station. A new PV in town (may have been there awhile I've not walked around the station recently though the wheels were pretty shiny) was a privately owned NYC car. See www.nyc-3.com for info. F-40 265 was parked on the house track and, surprisingly, running. There was no one around and it wasn't coupled to anything supplying house power or anything so I'm not sure why they left it idling. The batteries are good as it was shut down and restarted at Jefferson Road last week.

The museum small displays (railbus 10 etc) have had their winter coverings removed.

#393544  by Tri-State Tom

Been several years since NYC #3 paid a visit to the M&E. AIR, the owners chose to shift it's home to someplace down south....Virginia maybe.

Haven't seen it in awhile but it used to be a gem !