Railroad Forums 

• TRAINSPOTTING ON THE MORRISTOWN & ERIE, 2006

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#252128  by RS115

Small correction to the above (typo I'm sure) it's 7214 & 7216 at Jefferson road. Looked liked a good chunk of 7214 was gone by the end of the day.

#252130  by Alcoman

Why are they cutting all these units?
 #252415  by Sandy Burton

You are right, it is 7214 and 7216 that are being cut up. 7212 is in the house at Morristown.

John, 7214 had been stripped of parts long ago. I believe 7216's prime mover was sold to someone. With the price of scrap metal, I suspect that it seemed to be a good time to get rid of what remained of a couple of locomotives that were never going to run again anyway.

Sandy

#253197  by PVRX1

did not 7216 get cut up quite a few months back. Or is this just remnants of such.
 #253201  by Sandy Burton

The prime mover was pulled and pieces of the long hood were cut a while ago. Now they are finishing the job.

Sandy
 #255034  by Sandy Burton

You can remove 7214 and 7216 from your rosters. They have been cut up
this week and now are a pile of rubble. These are former LVT/Erie
Mining units.

Sandy Burton

#257216  by RS115

Today at Morristown:

18 partway in the shop on track 1 being worked on
7212 is in the house on track 2
21 (the RS-1) which has been in the house on track 1 of late outside against the coal dock running when I got there then was shut down and stack covered. Still pushing a lot of smoke at idle so don't know if they did work on the prime mover or just the reported brake pipe problem.
22 was being worked on outside on track 3.

No sign of 19 though heard horns later back at the office. Far as I know she's still not equipped with cab signals so can't venture out on NJT. 20 not to be seen- still on loan to NS or possibly workign the western lines. Anyone know?

#257276  by Steve F45

what do you mean by cab signals?

#257722  by gravelyfan

RS115 wrote:Today at Morristown:

No sign of 19 though heard horns later back at the office. Far as I know she's still not equipped with cab signals so can't venture out on NJT.
On Wednesday I saw the 19 and a few tankcars crossing Jefferson Road on the Whippany Line (headed for Morristown) around 4 pm.

#258248  by denvillerailfan

20 was pulling the H-02 this morning. eb through Denville ~9am

#258685  by PRRTechFan

2005Vdub wrote:
what do you mean by cab signals?
The wayside signal system electrically transmits signal information through the rails. Engine cab signal equipment can receive the coded signal current travelling down the rails and "repeats" the signal indication on a display in the cab in front of the engineer. The engineer thus has a constant indication of the signal status of the block he is in, even though he has passed the signal that displayed a particular signal aspect. The signal aspects on the wayside signals convey route and speed information, the cab signals re-display vital "speed" information to the engineer.

With cab signal equipment in an engine and connected to the engine throttle and brake system, the permitted train speed can be "enforced" and the train even stopped should a stop signal be passed, regardless of action or inaction on the part of the engineer. Cab signals are a vital safety backup system.

Maybe someone can clarify the actual regulations further, but I believe that all passenger trains and the tracks over which they travel must be equipped with cab signal equipment. While there are circumstances where cab signalling is not provided, maximum speeds are restricted.

So to get to the heart of your question, the engine without this equipment is most likely restricted from operating on NJT passenger revenue routes.

hi

#261083  by thebigham

Any corrections, please.

Just found this:

http://www.thedieselshop.us/ME.HTML

7212 - in M&E shop
7214 - scrapped 6/06
7215 - operating
7216 - scrapped 6/06

Chris

#261274  by RS115

On Thursday around 1:00 18 was spotted on the main at the end of shop driveway with one of the ex-Amtrak Material Handling Cars. Two flat bed trucks were just leaving having delivered mulitple pallets of railroad wheels (stacked flat 5-6 to a pallet). The M&E folks had their forklift out there and were using it to lift the pallets into the car where there was a handpump lift similar to you see getting dragged around in a BJ's or Costco. I didn't get to stay and watch but it must have been fun loading the uphill end of the car with that unless the got everything inside somehow and pulled down onto the level track to redistribute it all. The military Plymouth was chained to a set of trucks in front of the house - apparently they'd been using it to drag the trucks around.

Friday 18 was tied up in front of the shop, no sign of 19. It appears that 22 and 7212 are now both on track two inside the house. Is 20 still off workign for NS? 21 has disappeared - presumably down to Whippany though I've not been down there.

#261451  by Al Holleuffer

M&E 19 was sent to Bayway a couple of weeks ago. 21 is in Whippany but not in service as of the last I spoke to the museum guys. It still has a couple of minor mechnical things that need attention. That it still exists and is operational is amazing. I ran 21 on the Maryland & Delaware RR between Clayton, DE, and Easton, MD, back in the late '70's.

#262042  by denvillerailfan

20 spotted working on D&R branch by the Mill Tavern heading west(? toward Dover) @ 11:05 w/ 3 cars.
Pics later.