Railroad Forums 

• TRAINSPOTTING ON THE MORRISTOWN & ERIE, 2005

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#173853  by mountie17

The 18 was dropping off the 4223 and 7215 at Tpoicana and Bayway. Don't know where the 19 went, unless they parked it in the 2nd shop building in Morristown.
BTW, is the Center Street Branch accesible for photos and also, where exactly is it?

#173936  by Lackawanna484

mountie17 wrote:The 18 was dropping off the 4223 and 7215 at Tpoicana and Bayway. Don't know where the 19 went, unless they parked it in the 2nd shop building in Morristown.
BTW, is the Center Street Branch accesible for photos and also, where exactly is it?

It's between the NEC and the Morristown Line in Harrison, just west of Hudson interlocking, but not publicly accessible without trespassing.

Before the issue became sensitive, you could access it from the rear of the now Bank of America parking lot on Fourth street, just south of the Morristown Line overhead bridge. The track you cross in the street was the original H&M line to Saybrook street / Park Place in Newark

#181665  by njt4172

The Maine Eastern tourist season is over so I was wondering if the FL-9's will be returning to Morristown anytime soon..... I guess only if they aren't having Santa trips up there....

Thanks,
Steve

#184654  by Lackawanna484

The repainted 21 is now back in Whippany. Nicely posed for pictures, too.

#185019  by mountie17

The RS-1 still hasn't been fixed, though. The FL-9's will most likely stay in Maine

#185306  by RS115

RVRR #17 has arrived at the Whippany Museum and they've shuffled things around to better display #16 within the museum's tracks and #21 on the passing siding with the MTA engine.

Paint on #16 looks very good. As with the repaint on #21 it's a mixture of eras - the 1950's paint scheme with the 1980's logo but it looks damn good.

#186321  by General

Has the black and orange Alco(don't remember the #) been returned to the M&E or is it still at NJ Transit's MMC? I have seen that Alco hanging around outside of the shop in the NJT yard for a while and I have not seen it in a few weeks. Just wondering if is back in the M&E's hands or still with NJT.

#186344  by RS115

The C-425 was back in Morristown last week - haven't noticed it lately. It was on the run-around by Ridgedale Ave at one point.

#186686  by General

RS115 wrote:The C-425 was back in Morristown last week - haven't noticed it lately. It was on the run-around by Ridgedale Ave at one point.
Thanks for the info. Whats the story with that Alco? I have seen it sitting in Bayway for a while before it made its way to the MMC. Every time that I have been around Bayway, the black & orange Alco would be parked while another unit would be switching cars. I don't recall seeing it in use elsewhere on the M&E either. I am sure that it does not have cab signals, therefore it can not run on NJ Transit, so do they actually use this unit? All of the times that I have seen it at the MMC, it either sat there shut down or was being dragged around by an NJT unit. I am sure that they must be doing something with it if they had NJ Transit do work on it at the MMC. Just wondering if it is operational or if it is being used for spare parts?

#186866  by mountie17

They do use it (4264, the orange and black ex Mass Central C425), but it has been out of service for quite some time now, due to a broken flange?, however i'm not sure of the exact defect. Since it doesn't have cab signals it would be used at Bayway or for leasing to Tropicana.

#186891  by njt4172

Anyone know why Morristown & Erie is still working hard on the Maine Eastern F40's?? They have been hard at them for at least a month or more... Is there some special PV trip coming up soon???

Thanks,
Steve

#186965  by RS115

Noted tonight the the C-425 (4264) has been moved from the Ridgedale run-around to the shop area. It's sitting on the lead to tracks 3-4-5 for the night. Track 1 has 18 adn 265 (F-40) while SW #20 is on Track 2. Not sure of the locations of the other F-40, 19 or 7215.
 #187073  by Sandy Burton

Steve,

They are still working on the F-40s. 291 is in the house.

Sandy

#188224  by PVRX1

As of this evening,

C424 18 was shifting passenger cars around the shop.
F40 265 was parked outside door #1.
Amtrak GeeP # 764 was alongside the shop.

Out of the way of commuter traffic, up ont he hill was NJT 4137 with two white tank cars and what looked like a modified flat car of sorts. Never seen this set up before, kinda dark to get a good look at it from the parking lot. Leaf removal apparatus???