Railroad Forums 

• TRAINSPOTTING ON THE MORRISTOWN & ERIE, 2005

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#128890  by denvillerailfan

http://community.webshots.com/photo/996 ... 8945UdhROO
Pic was taken June 17, 2004
Lackawanna484 wrote:I noticed the RS-1 has had its Pook Valley name painted out. It's been sitting in Whippany for a few weeks, but I hadn't noticed the name was removed before.
Saw it sitting in Whippany as you mentioned, it did look different, maybe it just got a good power wash? :wink:

#128938  by njt4172

denvillerailfan wrote:http://community.webshots.com/photo/996 ... 8945UdhROO
Pic was taken June 17, 2004
Lackawanna484 wrote:I noticed the RS-1 has had its Pook Valley name painted out. It's been sitting in Whippany for a few weeks, but I hadn't noticed the name was removed before.
Saw it sitting in Whippany as you mentioned, it did look different, maybe it just got a good power wash? :wink:
Eventually, it is supposed to be repainted back into M&E 15 paint scheme of the early 1980's.....Don't know when this will start.......

Steve

#129534  by denvillerailfan

Looks like the repaint is already underway.

Passed by Whippany on Saturday, The windows were masked off and the entire engine was one color. (same brown / red as before, guessing primer?)

Unfortunately this was the one time I didn't have a camera... :(

#130253  by RS115

Stopped by Whippany tonight and a repaint of the RS-1 is definately underway though hard to say into what. All the undercarriage/trucks etc have been painted a nice glossy black - as has the top of hoods coming somewhat down onto the sides esp at the ends (could almost be a swoop of black down onto the end of the short hood. So either it's being painted into the current M&E paint scheme version with black hood tops like 18 & 19 or if it's going to the 'traditional' M&E red with dark blue stripes scheme it's going to be a variation.

We'll have to wait and see I guess. Noticed at Morristown that the little critter is gradually going black from the brown primer it's been it for a few months.

#130317  by njt4172

Caught M&E 20 heading east through Denville today with 2 tankers and 1 covered hopper at approx. 3pm..........Anyone know where the hopper is destined for????

Thanks,
Steve

#130395  by Angus202

There is at least one customer who occasionally receives covered hoppers of (?) at the Jefferson Ave. team track, emptying them by the truckload. At one time they had even rented a pressurized steam supply to assist with this operation.

-Ryan

#130589  by RS115

I don't know where the hopper went but it is not at Jefferson Road. That hopper car/steam arrangement ended spring 2004. No freight activity at the location since. Currently being used to store some passenger cars and sometimes some MOW equipment. Last spring/summer a couple of the Amtrak/NJT F-40's were there for a couple of weeks for contract work.

#131380  by njt4172

denvillerailfan wrote:Stopped by Whippany this evening to see the 21...

Looks like it will be the more common red paint scheme --- works for me ;)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/996 ... 576JrWTmU#
Yeah, thought it was going to get repainted into the 1983 all red paint scheme, but I guess not....The roof being black means it will probably be in the current scheme of things............

Steve

#132537  by Lackawanna484

The RS-1 looks very nice with its new paint job.

Brilliant red, with black trim and top, waiting for its lettering and logos. Very classy.

#132576  by njt4172

Lackawanna484 wrote:The RS-1 looks very nice with its new paint job.

Brilliant red, with black trim and top, waiting for its lettering and logos. Very classy.
Yes, indeed it does! After the Whippany caboose trips this summer it is supposed to get repainted into the retro-style paint scheme that the M&E first adopted back in the 1950's!!!! :-D

Steve

#133184  by RS115

It looks like it's going to be a hybrid paint scheme. Stopped by Whippany today and the long hood end door has been painted blue ala the original M&E diesel scheme and there is a single blue stripe on the long hood outlined in yellow (in the same location that the 'Pook Valley' black stripe was.

Don't know if a second stripe will be added but there's no indication of it. Definately appears to be a temporary scheme as no body work has been done painted red right over some temp tape patches where there's rust on the short hood.

Still, it looks good and an improvement over the faded paint it's been running around in.

#133896  by Lackawanna484

The RS1 is done and it looks wonderful!

1950s M&E colors and trim, with some modern touches, like the roof. Anybody know who raised the money, did the work, and deserves the credit for a really nice looking job?

#158108  by mountie17

Hello all, Was wondering where the 19 is working at? BTW, I was talking with Steve Hepler of the Whippany Railway Museum and he said that the RS1 has a brake pipe problem and is still awaiting to be fixed.