Railroad Forums 

• Trains on the Newark Industrial...

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#76530  by thebigc

JLo wrote:The bascule bridge hasn't been operated in something like 15 or 20 years. I doubt it still works without major maintenance. In my 16 years in Newark, I've never seen it moved.
The first time I explored that bridge, NX, was from the Harrison side in 1979 and the control room was gutted. And the way all the handrails and steps leading to the control room were rotted and rusted, it's safe to assume that the bridge was inactive for quite some time before my visit.

#76717  by Jtgshu

Anyone have any close up pics of that bridge? It would be interesting to see how its "hanging in there" after all tehse years

as a side note, DB draw on the former Boonton Line no longer has any navagation lights - they probably blew out and haven't been replaced yet.

#77018  by dave76

Isn't this bridge similar to the Erie HX draw on the BCL over the Hackensack river. I know HX has a solid counter weight and NX has 2 separate counter weights, which brings another question, whats the difference between the two? I know ten years ago I watched HX get totaly rebuilt, so I know NX can be refurbished. Man it would be nice to have heavy rail through Nutley and Belleville, into Hoboken. The closest rail station to me is Bloomfield or Lyndhurst.

#77113  by Ken W2KB

It would be easier to extend the new under construction branch of the Newark City Subway to the Newark Industrial and thence to a Route 3 area park and ride.

#77348  by dave76

Hay Ken that would be a great idea!

#77499  by Lackawanna484

sullivan1985 wrote:
BlockLine_4111 wrote:
Lackawanna484 wrote:
Dougster wrote:.

I remember the box company on Rt. 3 but I also do not remember the name. they haven't received cars in years.
Union Camp --->International Paper ---->Shorewood (Div of IP)

You're right. I believe the property is for sale. Will prob become a Wal-Mart, or other big box retailer.
Wasn't there a bit of a grade battle to get the boxcars up from below ?
Yeah its like a 40 or 50 foot climb in a very short distance...
The building is now about 75% demolished. Should be gone today or tomorrow. Rubble is going out in large dump trucks. It would seem to be a good place to ship out railcars of rubble (empties up the slope, loads down the slope)

#77608  by sullivan1985

Lackawanna484 wrote:
sullivan1985 wrote:
BlockLine_4111 wrote:
Lackawanna484 wrote:
Dougster wrote:.

I remember the box company on Rt. 3 but I also do not remember the name. they haven't received cars in years.
Union Camp --->International Paper ---->Shorewood (Div of IP)

You're right. I believe the property is for sale. Will prob become a Wal-Mart, or other big box retailer.
Wasn't there a bit of a grade battle to get the boxcars up from below ?
Yeah its like a 40 or 50 foot climb in a very short distance...
The building is now about 75% demolished. Should be gone today or tomorrow. Rubble is going out in large dump trucks. It would seem to be a good place to ship out railcars of rubble (empties up the slope, loads down the slope)
That would make perfect sense, but our state always does everything construction related ass-backwards...