Railroad Forums 

• Trains on CSX St. Lawrence Sub (CR's Montreal Secondary)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#624281  by roadster

Of interest here will be the night Fulton B776 has been eliminated. This was a turn job between Fulton and Dewitt running out bds to Dewitt and returning with the Woodards and Fulton cars. Some times working customers along the way. Reasoning is the Ethanol Plant at Fulton is being shutdown. Reported qaulity issues with the product and due to present economic situation, there is not enough demand for the product. With this job gone, it will be interesting to see if they return the B753/B756 or try to pile it all on Q621/Q620. There is simply, no way the remaining locals can service their customers and perform the turn work also.
 #624389  by joha107

Woops, never did make it down to check out the ethanol plant, too late now, going to need more crews if they let Q620/Q621 handle that work. I don't know for sure, but it seems like B779 may also be gone, at least temporarily, B778 has been handling the Gouvernuer run for the last few weeks on top of their other duties.
 #625398  by lvrr325

News reports note the company running the plant has filed Chapter 11 Bankruptcy; they've played a clip of someone speaking for the company claiming that there's still demand for ethanol, but they're going Chapter 11 so they can upgrade equipment in the plant. Which makes no sense to me whatsoever, but in today's world who knows. Anyways, I wouldn't hold my breath on it coming back, it may end up being like the Nestle plant.
 #625607  by roadster

We have been hearing rumors since July that there was financial problems and funding issues. What a shame. So far CSX has been calling extra B976/B776 to cover the work that the regular job had been doing.
 #625936  by lvrr325

Couple of times lately I see southbounds stop with the power just far enough north of MP 3 to be on the level and past the ponds between the track and the Parkway... the tail end might be close to Heids... at least one it looked like a taxi or crew van showed up and either dropped someone off or did a crew change. Wondered what's going on there? This time of year it means a trudge through a lot of snow to get to the train, would think they'd pull right down to CP291 unless they were right on the 12 hour mark. Unless they're getting air leaks or hits on the detector that have to be checked out. But even then seems like it would be easier to put the conductor back on by driving in at CP291.
 #626089  by roadster

I believe your seeing a detector hit causing the train to be inspected. The rules require us to stop the train as soon as safely possible. So while trying to NOT block any crossings in Liverpool, it isn't prudent to drag a potential equipment failure across a bridge. (Parkway) While it's a pain, it's better than being fired.
 #629750  by scharnhorst

lvrr325 wrote:News reports note the company running the plant has filed Chapter 11 Bankruptcy; they've played a clip of someone speaking for the company claiming that there's still demand for ethanol, but they're going Chapter 11 so they can upgrade equipment in the plant. Which makes no sense to me whatsoever, but in today's world who knows. Anyways, I wouldn't hold my breath on it coming back, it may end up being like the Nestle plant.
Upgrade huh? Were told at a meeting at work that all orders for pumps were canceled and phone calls were not being returned at the fulton plant as well as a few outher places that canceled there orders due to shut downs and bankruptcy notices! The times are lean and orders are droping left and right but there is just enough work to keep us just above the line between layoffs and still working.
 #630869  by joha107

O038 went up with a plow and CSXT 5826, came into Watertown I think on Monday, continued working north today up to Gouverneur, not sure how much further they planned on going. I am having car trouble so I was unable to go out and investigate, could only listen in on the scanner, would have been a nice catch with that B36-7. I don't see any signs of this winter letting up so there may be more opportunities to catch it.
 #631304  by tree68

lvrr325 wrote:Was told a plow went up I believe Saturday with one unit, or maybe a slug set, I didn't see it to know if it was a spreader or just what.
Based on what I saw that they "left behind" it was the spreader. They went down to Carthage, too.
 #631359  by roadster

Yes, the O038 is the Jordan Spreader. It has been prowling the St.L sub for the past month back and forth as needed.
Lvrr325, What you saw was an extra B776, which recrewed the outlawed B774 at CP-W. We had been all day dropping 15 cars into NEBio. at Fulton and then brought 28 cars South to Woodard, swapped rear engine with B777. Then ran around 39 cars on the Woodard siding, shoved them back onto the 28 from Fulton making a 67 car train for Dewitt. By the time the conductor had inspected the 39 Woodards it was past 6PM and we were ordered to tie it down due to lack of time. B777 had to run down the main and bring us back to the Woodard Depot as no access roads were plowed. It was a very long day indeed. On a side note. The A&M is departing from NEBio. with in a week, along with their Alco. CSX will handle the remaining switching as the plant shuts down. Corn in the Silo's is being reloaded and sent out, Carbon Dioxide is still being loaded by a subcontractor for about 2 more months. The only remaining customer on the site will again be the recycling industry, which has been there all along. A little hope still remains that the plant can secure the money it needs to repair the plant.
 #631453  by scharnhorst

roadster wrote:Yes, the O038 is the Jordan Spreader. It has been prowling the St.L sub for the past month back and forth as needed.
Lvrr325, What you saw was an extra B776, which recrewed the outlawed B774 at CP-W. We had been all day dropping 15 cars into NEBio. at Fulton and then brought 28 cars South to Woodard, swapped rear engine with B777. Then ran around 39 cars on the Woodard siding, shoved them back onto the 28 from Fulton making a 67 car train for Dewitt. By the time the conductor had inspected the 39 Woodards it was past 6PM and we were ordered to tie it down due to lack of time. B777 had to run down the main and bring us back to the Woodard Depot as no access roads were plowed. It was a very long day indeed. On a side note. The A&M is departing from NEBio. with in a week, along with their Alco. CSX will handle the remaining switching as the plant shuts down. Corn in the Silo's is being reloaded and sent out, Carbon Dioxide is still being loaded by a subcontractor for about 2 more months. The only remaining customer on the site will again be the recycling industry, which has been there all along. A little hope still remains that the plant can secure the money it needs to repair the plant.
orders for pumps were canceled and phone calls to NEBio go unanswered this was the latest news as of last weeks meeting at work. More news will follow (Friday 1/30) as to what are future will be in the next few mounths.