Railroad Forums 

• Trains of the future

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#409251  by NJTRailfan

I just got done watching movies I Robot, Fifth Element, Minority Report, Demolition Man and Back to the Future Part 2. This had me wondering which movie representing the future did a good job in representing on how trains would look like in the years 2015, 2020,3032, 2035 2052, 2057,etc?

Hell even Discovery had the three part series called "2057" on how technology from cars, highways, medical care and tactical equipment for our military would look like. So what are your ideas and which movie best represented the future of trains unlike the reallly campy Fifth Element movie with Bruce Willis and Chris Tucker. with Minority Report I was shocked they'd use a present day Metro subway train. Esp when they are trying to represent the year 2052.

#410590  by jscola30

IT was either Discovery or Learning Channel had something one once about the possibilty of building a trans atlantic rail tunnell. In theory, the tunnell would be a vacuum and it would be a maglev train, and IN THEORY you could go from nyc to london in under an hour. Seems pretty far fetched, but one can dream...

#412961  by uhaul

By the year 2015 I am guessing that while rare SD40-2s will still be on Class 1s. The -8s will be a dying breed and we will all be "mourning." The last -8 will be retired on February 14th 2016 as the world stops turning. DRGW 5371, CSXT 4617, and CSXT 8888 will all be in museums. We know that at least 5371 will be. The last Green Goat will literally go out in a bright light show of flaming batteries.
In the year 2020 the last GP9 will be operating outside of a museum. The last GenSet will putter and then die. I here the SD70M-2s and ES44DCs are garbage so who knows what will happen with them.
In 2026 the U.S.of A will be 1/4 the way to 1000 years old. Or, in other words, its’ semiquincentennial.

Now with 2035 2052, 2057, infinity and beyond I have no idea.
I am not sure about 3032, but in 3000 I know Disco will be back, we will all be some human-alien mixture, and everybody will be groovin' to this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNhLr0RiGos
 #413020  by RussNelson

NJTRailfan wrote:with Minority Report I was shocked they'd use a present day Metro subway train. Esp when they are trying to represent the year 2052.
Why? Somebody is still running PCC cars because they're the appropriate technology.
 #413106  by nittany4

NJTRailfan wrote:with Minority Report I was shocked they'd use a present day Metro subway train. Esp when they are trying to represent the year 2052.
how much different does the subway of "today" look compared to 1962?

besides plastic seats and lots of scratch graffiti, not much different

#414046  by NJTRailfan

with the PCC cars yes alot of them are still running but they were replaced by agencies like NJT for the current modern ones. But I suppose a subway train like the current DC Metro could still be running strong in 2052.

With the Discovery and the TLC channels the Trans Atlantic Maglev tunnel would have 3 tracks and passengers would be evacuated via a train on the next track through fire proof tunnels within the main one.

I wouldn't want to be in it should a train derail. As far as undr 1 hrs...Yeah right If something like that were to happen I say it would go no faster then the Concrode or the time it takes to take Amtrak's NEC from Boston to DC.