• TRAINS MAG JUNE

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by ferroequinarchaeologist

FYI, the June issue of Trains contains a map of the B&M as of 1937, together with locations of facilities (wyes, turntables, tanks, etc.) and trackage control method (CTC, train order, block signal).

PBM

by Steam

A former B&M employee who is a locomotive engineer now working for the T called me yesterday to tip me off about this map, which he pointed out is riddled with errors. He immediately contacted the map's creator and Kalmbach Publishing to tell them about the many mistakes. What action they will take is unclear.

Unfortunately, once in print, things take on a permanent legitimacy. Later corrections often are not noted or even seen by most people who have studied the original effor-filled document.

Anyone undertaking to create such a long-lived reference work should take extreme care to get it right before commiting it to print.
  by Noel Weaver

Steam wrote:A former B&M employee who is a locomotive engineer now working for the T called me yesterday to tip me off about this map, which he pointed out is riddled with errors. He immediately contacted the map's creator and Kalmbach Publishing to tell them about the many mistakes. What action they will take is unclear.

Unfortunately, once in print, things take on a permanent legitimacy. Later corrections often are not noted or even seen by most people who have studied the original effor-filled document.

Anyone undertaking to create such a long-lived reference work should take extreme care to get it right before commiting it to print.
This has been a sore point with me for some time, I have seen countless
articles and books that were full of errors.
I think before somebody takes on the effort required to write an article or
even more so a book, he/she should seek the advice of as many as is
possible. People with old reference materials such as timetables can be a
big help in seeing to accuracy.
A consequence of this stuff is that people today are misled all due to a
mistake in a book or magazine article which could have been avoided.
The result is always worth the effort.
Noel Weaver