Railroad Forums 

• TRAINS: 75 People....

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1351226  by Gilbert B Norman

For their 75th anniversary issue, TRAINS has identified 75 railroaders, executives, photographers, and railfans "that made railroading and TRAINS what they are today".

I've met face to face nine of 'em along the way and I'll tally them should anyone care. Anyone else care to chime in?
 #1355503  by 2nd trick op

I haven't subscribed to Trains for a number of years, it has to have something involving real, heavy-duty, day-to-day railroading before I spring for a copy, but the 75th anniversary issue was well worth it.

And I have to express appreciation to the staff for striking a balance between the industry, the "peripherals" like art and preservation, and the special group of people who both made Trains the unique achievement it was at its zenith --- and successfully re-tooled it for a more generalistic audience as the "railfan community" grew.

The list was thoughtfully chosen and well-balanced -- entrepreneurs like Warren Buffet and J B Hunt, a couple of executives most railfans detested; Lou Menk and B F Biaggini, James Brunkenhoefer -- a labor leader with unique foresight and common sense, and villains and fall-guys; Ricky Gates and Robert Sanchez.

I looked hard for two names I thought deserved mention and missed it: Philip Hastings and Don Wood.

But overall, this is an exemplary tribute to a publication that, like its founder and best-remembered editor, found and filled a unique role that can never be replicated. Congratulations to all.