Railroad Forums 

• Train v car in Peekskill

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1563421  by BandA

Assuming the car is at fault, they should pay damages for the time the train was delayed. 121 * 1.25hr * (magical $15/hr) = $2268.75. I assume the train was traveling fairly slow by the time of impact.
 #1563441  by STrRedWolf

John_Perkowski wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:47 am Good news. Any injuries from the train going into emergency?
Nope. My guess is that it was going slow through Peerskill since it was north of the Metro-North station and it slowed down through the station. Anyone know what MAS is in that area?
 #1563455  by Erie-Lackawanna

BandA wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:21 pm Assuming the car is at fault, they should pay damages for the time the train was delayed. 121 * 1.25hr * (magical $15/hr) = $2268.75. I assume the train was traveling fairly slow by the time of impact.
A certain commuter rail agency I know does bill drivers for damages caused by their failing to be clear of the right of way when crossing warning systems are found to be working properly at the time of the collision. A recent collision, where the vehicle was propelled into the crossing electronics hut, destroying it, got a very big bill that his car insurance almost certainly wouldn’t cover completely. Signal huts are expensive. Very expensive. And few people carry insurance with such high limits.

Jim
 #1563474  by Railjunkie

STrRedWolf wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:25 pm
John_Perkowski wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:47 am Good news. Any injuries from the train going into emergency?
Nope. My guess is that it was going slow through Peerskill since it was north of the Metro-North station and it slowed down through the station. Anyone know what MAS is in that area?
45mph through the station and around the curve.
 #1563476  by ctclark1

Erie-Lackawanna wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:47 pm
BandA wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:21 pm Assuming the car is at fault, they should pay damages for the time the train was delayed. 121 * 1.25hr * (magical $15/hr) = $2268.75. I assume the train was traveling fairly slow by the time of impact.
A certain commuter rail agency I know does bill drivers for damages caused by their failing to be clear of the right of way when crossing warning systems are found to be working properly at the time of the collision. A recent collision, where the vehicle was propelled into the crossing electronics hut, destroying it, got a very big bill that his car insurance almost certainly wouldn’t cover completely. Signal huts are expensive. Very expensive. And few people carry insurance with such high limits.

Jim
It would only make sense to do so. Utility companies charge drivers for pole replacements when they snap one off.
 #1563499  by Railjunkie

STrRedWolf wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:27 am
Railjunkie wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:47 pm 45mph through the station and around the curve.
Damn, I knew it was "leisurely" taking it from NYC to Albany and back in 1998.
Back in the day long before PTC was even a thought , there was an engineer who took great pride in seeing how much stuff he could knock off the counter in the cafe car on that curve. If you were on the express don't bother setting anything up. Speeds were a suggestion.