Railroad Forums 

• Train Symbol - WS-01

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#22589  by trainman2

WS is the prefix used by crews of the New York, Susquehanna and Western.

What did this sound like when you heard it?

If the number was pronounced "one" it was one of our locals.

If it was pronounced "oh-one" I'm not sure what it was specifically, but WS is the prefix we use.

The crews are all designated by the "WS" prefix. A whole number designates a regular crew, an "X" is an extra, and a "WX" is an extra work train.

I have heard the regular crews go up to WS-5.

#22690  by Butlershops

trainman2 wrote:WS is the prefix used by crews of the New York, Susquehanna and Western.
Yeah, but CP-Potter is on the Lehigh Line. Go figure.
 #22928  by nolifeCRchaser

CR80MAC wrote:Heard North Jersey telling WS-01 he's ok to occupy interlocking limits at CP Potter on 5/25/04. I've never heard this symbol before. Does anyone know what it is?
I heard North Jersey talking to this crew as well several times that week. It did sound like an NYS&W crew symbol as I have interchanged with the WS-4, WS-5, and a few other WS crews, but I heard North Jersey tell them they were OK out of South Plainfield, so it could have been a work train from South Plainfield. I think there was mention of some activity within that area on my bulletins and a work train is the only thing that I think it could be, as NYS&W crews would not be qualified on the Lehigh Line.