Railroad Forums 

• Train Station Scene in 'Flags of Our Fathers'

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#305814  by queenlnr8

The above photo is a clip from the movie 'Flags of our Fathers' and shows the interior of a train station. What looks to be some heavy-weight cars are in the foreground and in the background it looks like a 10-6 sleeper and some other car.

Now, for the sake of history, I am sure that there are not too many cars still left that can illustrate a 'real' train station from 1945. And to the untrained eye, these would look accurate.

BUT, can someone tell me IF they are? And, note, the rumble strip next to the train in the foreground. I am SURE that these were not installed until the 1990's for ADA.

Also, what station is this? It looks to me to be the upper 'Suburban' service level at PHL.

N.B. - Thread title edited for clarity by moderator
 #305815  by amtrakhogger

Harrisburg Station?

#305817  by Gilbert B Norman

The on location scenes were filmed at Chiago Union Station during October 2005. The equipment seen was provided by the Illinois Railway Museum.

I "just happened" to be there the day CUS filming was being done. A 24 year old girl in our party was "absolutely sure' she saw Clint Eastwood.

But as usual "accuracy' prevails with Hollywood; the Slumbercoach was not placed in service until 1956 - the movie was set during 1945.

Enjoy the IMG now before it is buried as a URL in accordance with Forum riles, or the topic moved in its entirety to another Forum.

#305826  by nittany4

the lack of wodden ties is also a give away as to the time period

cheers

#306055  by Tadman

The real giveaway to CUS is the far right semi-high platform used for baggage, and not passengers as it apears - I've never been in a big station where the semi-high platforms have the cap piece crumling away like this, which gave it away instantly to me. This is in the south concourse, Metra side - I don't believe there is skylights over the Amtrak portion, which is on the eastern half of both south and north concourse. However, I will verify this as I'll be boarding #3 on sunday. I can't wait to sit in that awful Amtrak-specific waiting room...

#306241  by Lirr168

As the original thread title suggested, this is a little off topic, but I think as long as we keep our discussion focused on the rolling stock in the scene there should be no problem having it in this forum.

Now, I hardly consider myself an expert in these older types of coaches, but to me the ones in the above picture seem very out of place. Assuming that is the case, since there are only 2 coaches visible in the shot (were there more at another point?), I think it would have made more sense to use a smaller number of coaches that are clearly recognizable as 1940s era cars, such as P54's from the Pennsy Railroad Museum.

#306274  by Brad Smith

I think you have to cut Hollywood some slack. I am a rialfan but nowhere near the level of most of you. I wouldn't know what era those coaches are from and if I, an armchair railfan, don't know, then I have to believe 95% of the movie going public is even more ignorant than myself. Perhaps these coaches were all that was available, perhaps they were the only ones that fit the budget, or perhaps the prop department thinks like I do regarding viewer knowledge. I haven't seen the movie, but I have to believe this scene is brief and not worth the director getting critical and nit-picky over details for. :wink:
At least it's not as glaring as cowboys who say "Cool." or an English medieval Robin Hood speaking with Kevin Costners California dude accent. :-D

#306283  by nittany4

agreed, at least they didn't slap a santa fe logo on a bi-level metra coach!

:P

#309876  by viewfinder

It was supposed to be 1945 and I was a little surprised that there was no steam locomotive pulling either train.
But unfortunately at the time of the shooting I don't believe IRM had an operable steamer for use in the movie. But everything they DID use sure looked fabulous!!!

#310030  by Engineer James

Actually IRM has several steamers that could have been used:

http://www.irm.org/roster/steam.html

ATSF 2903 would have worked nicely for the scene... or even the IC steamer....

#310180  by Lirr168

Engineer James wrote:Actually IRM has several steamers that could have been used:

While I have not seen the movie, unless the train leaving the station was a very important moment, it does not seem worth the expense to secure a working steam locomotive.

#310193  by Engineer James

Well, not really.... I mean its a part that is important but not THAT important... still would you not want to borrow one for what a day or 2? I mean they already borrowed passenger cars from IRM, why not a steamer, or maybe an early diesel.....

#310199  by Lirr168

Engineer James wrote:Well, not really.... I mean its a part that is important but not THAT important... still would you not want to borrow one for what a day or 2? I mean they already borrowed passenger cars from IRM, why not a steamer, or maybe an early diesel.....
Because you don't just borrow priceless steam locomotives! They are expensive, and unless the locomotive is essential to the scene, there would be much better way to spend the money.

#310229  by pennsy

Hi All,

For what they wanted to show, a steamer was not required. It appeared to be what they wanted, a WWII RR station, picking up and dropping off GI's. I would have expected elderly ladies also there, handing out doughnuts and coffee to the troops. That would have locked in the time frame. These were Red Cross volunteers. By Hollywood's yardstick, it was done properly, and yes, it could have been improved, for a price. Try working to a budget sometime.

#310293  by viewfinder

Engineer James wrote:Actually IRM has several steamers that could have been used:

Not exactly. At the time of the shooting I don't believe any of their steam locomotives were operable. In fact I don't think even their Frisco decapod was running. I suppose they could have burned oil-soaked rags in the smokebox and been pushed...

In any case both consists were pulled by beautifully restored vintage diesel power.