Railroad Forums 

• train speeds

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#259755  by dummy

at whast speeds do the freight and passenger trains travel at in ontario ? here in NY CSX freight travels around 55mph or 90 kph and passenger is around 80mph.

#259851  by trainiac

Depends on where you are. I took a VIA Rail train from Montreal to London last year and we reached speeds of 100 mph. I believe most Canadian freight locomotives are geared for 65 mph, and, according to the CNCyclopedia http://cnlines.ca/CNcyclopedia/loco/ that's the speed CN locomotives (even with higher gearing) are restricted to.

#349725  by cnr6060

On the CNR Main Line in Alberta, there are spots where frieghts are allowed 65, but the VIA trains keep to 80 MPH.

#349786  by Ken V

I think the maximum speed allowed for a train depends more on the cargo being hauled than the gearing of the locomotive. Hazardous materials and dimensional (wide) loads have to travel much slower. Generally, freight trains in Ontario travel at 35-50 mph. Some trains, especially intermodals, will do 60+ at times.

#349967  by lock4244

VIA can get up to 100MPH on the Kingston Sub. The F40PH's can only do (in theory) 95MPH as that is their maximum gearing. The P42's can do 100MPH, as could the LRC engines (and a few were kept until the P42's arrived to protect certain trains that needed to do 100MPH to keep their schedule).

Maximum freight on the Bala Sub is 55MPH, raised a few years ago from 50MPH.

Of course, everything depends on what is being hauled and condition of track, curvature and a million other variables.

#350163  by gp9rm4108

CNR on their Kingston Sub is 65mph for all trains and out west it is 65mph for all trains at the top speed.

CN doesn't really have that many speed restrictions on much of anything.
Dangerous cars are not speed restricted. Special Dangerous are ... but only restricted in places with more than 50k people.

Some dimensionals are. CN got rid of the speed restrictions for unit trains.