Railroad Forums 

• train safety system on american trains ??

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#247691  by .Taurus.

Are train security systems installed on engines, that observe the crew?
For example a button, that have to push every 30sec, if not the train will be stopped.
Or a system that avoids to drive over a red signal ?

With implementation of the TALENT at the Ottawa o-Train, they installed the german train safety system PZB.

Greets

#247717  by DutchRailnut

90% of all locomotives in USA have alertors and other 10% or so still have a deadman pedal.
Only about 10% of entire USA network is equipped with some kind of cab signalling device wich does not prevent a train from going tru a red but it can only pass a red at restricted speed 15 > 20 mph.

#247871  by CN_Hogger

DutchRailnut wrote:90% of all locomotives in USA have alertors and other 10% or so still have a deadman pedal.
Not true on the CN, I'd say about a third of our units have no type of alertness device.

#247874  by jg greenwood

CN_Hogger wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:90% of all locomotives in USA have alertors and other 10% or so still have a deadman pedal.
Not true on the CN, I'd say about a third of our units have no type of alertness device.
You must be mistaken! The guru says 90%, and by God, 90% it is!
For the record, you're correct re: the CN.

#247903  by UPRR engineer

Only about 10% of entire USA network is equipped with some kind of cab signalling device wich does not prevent a train from going tru a red but it can only pass a red at restricted speed 15 > 20 mph.
Another reason this place is getting kinda old, dont state FACTS unless your %100 sure that your right. Know what i mean Vern???? Sometimes its best to hold back and see where the topic goes, that way you can avoid a spankin.

#247911  by David Benton

but you have at least 2 men in the cab right ??? . deadman pedals are probably more common on systems where there is single manning .

#247912  by jg greenwood

David Benton wrote:but you have at least 2 men in the cab right ??? . deadman pedals are probably more common on systems where there is single manning .
Again, far be it from me to dispute "the authority" on all steel wheels, turning on all railroads, I'm not at all sure there's deadman pedals on 10% of the locomotives in existence.

#247917  by CN_Hogger

jg greenwood wrote:I'm not at all sure there's deadman pedals on 10% of the locomotives in existence.
And 50%(maybe more?) of that 10% happen to have a flag stick that just happens to fit snugly between the bottom of the conrol stand and the pedal. Or a conviently placed air hose wrench. :P

I know we've still got a few GTW Geeps running around with the deadman's pedals. What's even more surprising is the number of units that the CN operates that HAD alerters and have been removed. (IC 2400's come to mind)

I remember hearing about a study a few years back that pretty much said an engineer can cancel the alerter when in a state of sleep simply out of habit, anyone else remember that?

#247920  by David Benton

i was meaning in comparison to systems in Europe , or here , where singlemanning is quite common . The origional poster is from Gremany .

#247931  by CN_Hogger

Well, Amtrak mostly runs one man in the cab as long as the timetable schedule is 8 hours or less per the FRA(correct me if I'm wrong). While they're running on frieght RR's all they have is the standard alerter and then they have to call out any signal other than a clear to the train crew over the radio.

#247935  by jg greenwood

CN_Hogger wrote:
jg greenwood wrote:I'm not at all sure there's deadman pedals on 10% of the locomotives in existence.
And 50%(maybe more?) of that 10% happen to have a flag stick that just happens to fit snugly between the bottom of the conrol stand and the pedal. Or a conviently placed air hose wrench. :P

I know we've still got a few GTW Geeps running around with the deadman's pedals. What's even more surprising is the number of units that the CN operates that HAD alerters and have been removed. (IC 2400's come to mind)

I remember hearing about a study a few years back that pretty much said an engineer can cancel the alerter when in a state of sleep simply out of habit, anyone else remember that?
Yes. I too remember the study. IMHO, alerters are nothing more than a pita.

#247967  by DutchRailnut

Lets see before my nitwits from BLET and UTU chime in.
I said the USA, I don't believe the FRA does allow CN units without alertor or deadman in USA and Canada last time I checked had not joint the land of King George and kindom of Haliberton.

#247982  by LCJ

I heard they did a study and found that 72.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot. Know what I mean, Vern?

#248036  by jg greenwood

DutchRailnut wrote:Lets see before my nitwits from BLET and UTU chime in.
I said the USA, I don't believe the FRA does allow CN units without alertor or deadman in USA and Canada last time I checked had not joint the land of King George and kindom of Haliberton.
And what do they call you and the rest of those imbeciles from ACRE? Your major problem, blow-hole, is you've been on one railroad, and one railroad only your entire career. Yet, you're the undisputed expert on EVERY railroad in the entire country.