Railroad Forums 

• Train Ride in South Jersey

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#54727  by creeker

Has anyone heard a rumor going around about a tourist railroad being started around the Chatsworth area? I dont know that the spelling is right. It would be on the old CNJ Southern Div. tracks headed toward Winslow. If anyone has any info on this at all please share.

-Eric

#54749  by JLo

Sounds unlikely. First, there are few rails left at Chatsworth last time I checked, and the ROW is completely overgrown.

#54950  by Ken W2KB

As jlo mentioned, the tracks are overgrown and I suspect that most ties would have to be replaced, at a minimum. Maybe SRRNJ might be thinking of running something out of Winslow, but that would not go towards Chatsworth.
 #55101  by JJMDiMunno

creeker wrote:Has anyone heard a rumor going around about a tourist railroad being started around the Chatsworth area? I dont know that the spelling is right. It would be on the old CNJ Southern Div. tracks headed toward Winslow. If anyone has any info on this at all please share.

-Eric
It's fundamentally a good idea, as the tracks run through some pretty scenic and interesting territory, but I doubt this will happen. I've heard nothing of the sort from any solid trustworthy source to date...of course there's always rumors flying everywhere about re-opening that thing for SOME purpose, but I now filter pretty much all of those out as the dreams of railfans...

Mike DiMunno

#55562  by BrianM

I can say that the SRNJ was contacted by an outside source for a joint operation with live steam. Do I think it is gonna happen, no. Mainly because most of the line that they wanted to use is no longer there.

But, the SRNJ has stated that once Salem has been rebuilt, expect to see something there.

Brian

#55589  by creeker

I have heard about something in Chatsworth. I have talked to people that said there has bin brush clearing going on down there and if I remember crrectly new ballest. There was also a steam locomotive that moved through Freehold some time back on a trailer and it hasnt bin seen sence. I know this is a facted because a good friend of mine saw it. It was headed South with rumors of going to be stored at Clayton. Like I say that is a rumor so i dont know the truth in it.

-Eric
Last edited by creeker on Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

#55630  by JJMDiMunno

creeker wrote:I have heard about something in Chatsworth. I have talked to people that said there has bin brush clearing going on down there and if I remember crrectly new ballest. There was also a steam locomotive that moved through Freehold some time back on a trailer and it hasnt bin seen sence. I know this is a facted because a good friend of mine saw it. It was headed South with rumors of going to be stored a Clayton. Like I say that is a rumor so i dont know the truth in it.

-Eric
No steam locomotive stored in Clayton to my knowledge, though it might be somewhere I can't see it. Not too many places for a locomotive like that to hide in Clayton though, it's not exactly the biggest town in existance...not too much to it...I do believe you about the locomotive moving through, don't know that it has anything to do with a tourist RR down here though...

Now, for Chatsworth. There may be brush clearing going on down there, but the fact of the matter is, that the rails are gone from may spots around there. There's a long stretch of rail that is simply removed. Been that way for a while. It's the one stretch of the Southern Div. between Winslow and Lakehurst that has had rail removed...

I was just there with David (moderator) back in June...no sign of a tourist railroad startup to me. I'll take a ride by sometime soon again and check things out for myself...

Mike DiMunno

#55658  by creeker

I didnt mean the town of Clayton. I ment Clayton Masonry Co. Now one thing I forgot to say was that what I heard was that a group got permision to start a tuorist railroad in Chatsworth. Not that they started one yet.

-Eric

#55923  by KMA

Permission?

From whom? NJT? (Doesn't NJT own the ROW?)