Railroad Forums 

• Train derailed by obstruction, politician blames CSX

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1423022  by BR&P

So some equipment which fouled the tracks derails CSX, and the local politician blames the railroad for endangering the citizens. Total ignorance!

"It's got to stop. While we don't know yet why the train derailed, we do know that outdated train cars barreling down the Hudson River are literally a train wreck waiting to happen!" Image

Full article here: http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/stor ... /98865806/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1423057  by NaugyRR

Would he rather have 100/+ tractor trailers loaded with haz-mat running through the city? I love the "outdated railcar" and "PTC" comments, neither of which caused the incident. The "outdated railcars" didn't spill, and unless they plan on installing PTC on private company forklifts trying to cross train tracks that won't help either. I wish I had the Jean-Luc face palm meme for this!
 #1423084  by Matt Langworthy

Agreed 100%. The politician obviously spoke without knowing what caused the crash, and that's just dumb. I hope the local voters remember his statement in the next election, but I don't hold out much hope in that regard.

Will there be any detours on NYSW while CSX cleans up the accident site?
 #1423100  by Ken W2KB

Below is a summary of what has been mandated. The advocates for better rail safety want the transition accelerated from the current date requirements. The cause of the derailment is not the issue, the issue is mitigation of the damage that results from a derailment no matter what the cause.

Things like all tank cars to be double walled, like tanker ships, special braking, and until fully implemented, speed restrictions for non-fully compliant trains.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-tank-c ... 1430487467
 #1423390  by RussNelson

Ken W2KB wrote:Below is a summary of what has been mandated. The advocates for better rail safety want the transition accelerated from the current date requirements. The cause of the derailment is not the issue, the issue is mitigation of the damage that results from a derailment no matter what the cause.
We need more laws, because obviously the railroads find it cheaper to clean up accidents, reroute traffic, suffer delays, etc, than to implement systems that actually work. We need thicker rule books, and more constraints on operations. Because railroaders don't know how to run a railroad, only politicians do.
 #1423397  by BR&P

RussNelson wrote:We need more laws, because obviously the railroads find it cheaper to clean up accidents, reroute traffic, suffer delays, etc, than to implement systems that actually work. We need thicker rule books, and more constraints on operations. Because railroaders don't know how to run a railroad, only politicians do.

The answer to every incident seems to be a knee-jerk call for more regulations. They are often defended by some statement similar to "Well, if it saves ONE life it's worth it" or "How many lives are we willing to lose in the name of business as usual." Well, how about if we construct every motor vehicle with a top speed of 5 mph? That would save...60,000?...lives a year!

Just because a given concept would have made a difference in a singular or a very small number of incidents does not mean it makes sense to adopt that concept universally.
 #1423450  by Matt Langworthy

Matt Langworthy wrote:Will there be any detours on NYSW while CSX cleans up the accident site?
To answerr myo won question,yes. Several photographers have posted the detour trains in social media.
 #1423763  by sd80mac

Matt Langworthy wrote:
Matt Langworthy wrote:Will there be any detours on NYSW while CSX cleans up the accident site?
To answerr myo won question,yes. Several photographers have posted the detour trains in social media.

Your posting is well ahead of River Line opening... LOL...

Went home after work and while on Thruway, drove underneath CSX bridge (river line) near NJ and NB stacks were on the move around 1 45 pm
 #1423776  by Matt Langworthy

I never said the River Line had reopened or was about to reopen. There definitely were detour trains because photos and video of them have been posted on Facebook, including the NYSW group. Not all CSX trains would be able to detour because NYSW has a limited number of pilots, and at least one of them marked off.

P.S. Sorry about my lousy typing in my previous post!
 #1423786  by sd80mac

no you didn't. I'm just saying that I thought it was funny that you posted it after I saw one going up north... That's all.. I know that you meant detour for previous 3 days.

I was hoping to catch the last detour in either way on Southern Tier when I was driving toward to Binghamton, but nope..
 #1425239  by videobruce

Matt Langworthy wrote:Agreed 100%. The politician obviously spoke without knowing what caused the crash, and that's just dumb. I hope the local voters remember his statement in the next election, but I don't hold out much hope in that regard.
Not Dictator Trump again?? :wink:
 #1425261  by Ken W2KB

videobruce wrote:
Matt Langworthy wrote:Agreed 100%. The politician obviously spoke without knowing what caused the crash, and that's just dumb. I hope the local voters remember his statement in the next election, but I don't hold out much hope in that regard.
Not Dictator Trump again?? :wink:
From this Democratic Congressman's site:

Rep. Maloney is a member of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee. Since joining Congress, Rep. Maloney has been a leader on rail safety and investing in positive train control (PTC), a simple Wi-Fi and GPS technology that can stop or slow trains remotely.

In December 2015, Rep. Maloney’s Passenger Train Derailment Prevention Act of 2015 was signed into law, which requires passenger railroads and freight lines on which passenger rail travels to identify high-hazard curves, like those involved in the Spuyten Duyvil and Philadelphia train derailments, and take actions to enhance safety through modification of existing ATC or other signal systems, increasing crew size, installing signage at those locations, installing of alerters in cabs, and increasing crew communication. In March 2015, the House also passed Rep. Maloney’s Commuter Rail Passenger Safety Act, which would make all positive train control installations "priority projects" as part of the $35 billion Railroad Rehabilitation & Improvement Financing (RRIF) Program that currently provides loans and loan guarantees to railroads.