Railroad Forums 

• Train blowing horn continuously last night (Dover/Exeter)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1284760  by ereuter

A couple of Facebook friends have reported a train going through Dover, and possibly as far as Exeter, last night around 10:30 with the horn blowing continuously. I didn't have the scanner on. Anyone know anything about this?
 #1284978  by MEC407

Any idea which locomotive it was? Most of PAR's locomotives have traditional horn valves, but most newer locomotives (i.e. foreign power) use an electric solenoid, and those can occasionally malfunction. Such a thing happened several years ago at Rigby Yard. I believe it was either a Conrail or CSX locomotive.
 #1284980  by MEC407

Thanks. I was aware that a few of the 600s had electric horn valves, which I assume were added when their previous owners rebuilt them. Good to know which particular unit decided to be loud last night. :-D