Railroad Forums 

• Train back in Harrison, Maine this weekend

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#151608  by Steam

One of the Maine Narrow Gauge Museum locomotives (#3) and an open excursion car will be operated on a 300' section of track at Harrison, Maine this weekend as part of the town's 200th anniversary celebration. This will be the first steam train in town since the Bridgton & Harrison abandoned that end of the line in the 1930s.

#152635  by mc367

Hello,

Is there any more information about the event this weekend?

Thanks
-Justin
 #152847  by Cosmo

PICTURES! PICTURES! Please tell me someone's bringing a digital camera!! POST! :-D
 #152946  by wolfmom69

:P One of the really great things about the Maine Narrow Gauge is their willingness/ability to take their operation "on the road"(it helps having a wonderful trucking company owner/operator as one of their leaders).

They had a working steamer on a short section of track at the Yarmouth Clam Festival,by the restored GT station(now a florist), back in 1994,and I think they have brought some equipment and track to Monson,and maybe the Phillips area also in the past.

Hats off to them!

Bud :-D
 #153129  by Cosmo

Actually, they brought thier steamer (Monson#3, IIRC) to Strong, on the old ROW near the former location of the depot. My uncle was there and reported astounding success.
Actualy, if you concider that I currently live and work in CT, then Strong IS in the "Phillips Area!" :P
 #153182  by CVRA7

Several years before the #3 visited Strong, the former Reo Railbus (now Ford-nosed) #4 visited Phillips, the town of its birth. It ran on the SR&RL during Old Home Days in August, and appeared in the parade on a flatbed trailer.
With the trackage and bridge on the current SR&RL line being rebuilt we very possibly may see #3 or #4 visit in the future.
And wouldn't it be nice if WW&F #9 could come home for a visit as SRRR #5 or SR&RL #6 someday?

#153242  by Steam

Sorry to report that due to the remote location of the track set-up in Harrison, very few people came out on Saturday the 30th. Perhaps fewer than 50 all day long. They couldn't have picked a more remote spot... at least 5 miles out of town over a series of winding , hilly roads, ending up on a dirt road. Not much signage to get you there. Very disappointing. The train ran only every hour or so, as there was nobody there to ride most of the day.

This was in sharp contrast to the event in Strong a few years back when the track was actually laid on the old roadbed just yards from where the station used to be. They had an endless stream of visitors there, and the train ran as often as they could unload and load.

Next weekend (Aug. 6 & 7) will be a repeat performance at Harrison. Hopefully more publicity will generate more visitors. The location is: Scribner's Mill Road. Lots of luck finding it!

#153564  by mc367

Talk about being remote!

Spent about 45min's looking for the place (Hopefully some bigger signs will be used next weekend). I did end up going out on Saturday to find it. Had a good time watching the #3 roll along side the Stanly Steamer.

I must say it is great that MNG dose take there show on the road, which can be done pretty well with the #3 or the #4. It's that willingness to load up an 18-wheeler and go is one of the best things about MNG, it gets the word out about there museum and seeing an engine run (although only on 300ft of track) is one of the best ways to tell the history of the Maine Two Footers.

Hopefully next weekend will find more people there
-Justin