Railroad Forums 

• Traffic in Maine

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#29144  by Trains

I was just wondering whether or not the traffic on the main line that travels from Portland through Lewiston to Waterville has incresed. Also, are there any good places along this line to view the traffic? Thanks.

#31777  by Trains

While is was up in Maine, I saw a Federal Railroad Administration track inspection car run along that route. I guess the government finally is doing something about the poor rail conditions on some parts of that line.

#32038  by MEC407

The car might have been enroute to other Maine railroads, such as the St. Lawrence & Atlantic or the Montreal, Maine & Atlantic.
 #32134  by Trains

Yeah, I thought that too but they were doing some trackwork along that line over the week. Apparently some of the curves were out of guage. But seeing equipment like that is rare so it was interesting. I am surprised no one else has seen it.

#32653  by cpf354

In answer to the orginal question, traffic between Waterville and Rigby, there hasn't been any increase in the number of trains for awhile, just the symbols change. Westbound you have road freights WARJ, NMPO, and eastbounds PONM and SDPO heading in and out of Waterville on the Freight Main, along with the Madison local going to the Madison Branch at Oakland. At Leeds Jct, westbound RIPO and eastbound PORI come off and on the Rumford Branch.
In the Portland area numerous PO locals operate, usually to Deering Jct, Brunswick, and Wells.
Two best places to visit I think are Danville Jct, where the SLR crosses and interchages, and Leeds Jct where the Rumford Branch connects with the Freight Main.