• trade crews at midpoint?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by miamicanes

Would it be considered normal, unusual, insane, taboo, or outright illegal to have two passenger trains heading towards each other between the same pair of cities on the final run of the day meet at a station near the halfway point (approximately 2-3 hours after departure) to literally trade crews, from the engineer and conductor on down, so that both crews ended up at their "home" stations at the end of the day and could just go home, instead of having to spend the night somewhere, or endure a 5 hour van ride back?

by jz441

Sounds like a great deal to me... :-D
There is nothing ilegal about that.

by DutchRailnut

CSX has been doing this with freight crews betwen Oak point and Selkirk for years now.
where ever the trains meet they stop switch crews give each other rollby and home they go.

by GOLDEN-ARM

We used to do it on the west shore, Riverline, as well. But you can bet, the DS had no idea, what was going on........... :wink:

by Jtgshu

We've done that at NJT with the permission of supervision and the dispatcher (of course :-) Actually it was a trainmaster who was thinking "outside the box" and really helped out my engineer who would have been in a jam if we had to do what they wanted us to do. So we swapped trains in Middletown, NJ on teh North Jersey Coast Line (former NYandLB) and we continued on our way to Long Branch, while the other crew, with plenty of time left on the clock were forced to work a local back to NYPenn and then work another local home. they got screwed big time, because their job was a scheduled early quit (only worked 5 hours), so they only made about an hour OT, while we lost out on about 8 hours OT, but the situation the engineer was in, (a personal problem that HAD to be attended to the next day = he was taking off regardless) we all just sucked it up.

It was interesting to say the least!

by David Benton

Here in New Zealand , it is the norm rather than the exception . Distances are alot shorter of course . But it is quite rare for a engineer to have to spend a night away from home .

by BlackDog

We are trying that here on the CN. In spite of what management says, it doesn't work as a cost saving tool. In theory it should work great, but out here in the Dairyland Disneyland, crews are racking up lots of overtime and the cab company is smiling all the way to the bank.

We are a scheduled railroad, you can set your calender by us.

by Ironman

Used to be like that on the B&A, up to about 20 years ago. The midpoint was Springfield MA.

The SESP and SPSE, which ended or began their runs in Springfield, swapped at Pittsfield MA.

by GOLDEN-ARM

Why wouldn't it work, as a cost savings tool? The cost of motel beds, not occupied, quickly amounts to a substantial savings, as well as AFHT pay, and I would dare say, a reduction in days marked off/missed, due to crews being happier, with more time at home. Just a thought.............. :-D

by BlackDog

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Why wouldn't it work, as a cost savings tool? The cost of motel beds, not occupied, quickly amounts to a substantial savings, as well as AFHT pay, and I would dare say, a reduction in days marked off/missed, due to crews being happier, with more time at home. Just a thought.............. :-D
But that would require management, proper management on the railroads part, something that just hasn't happened yet. 14 hour days and astronomical cab bills. 14 hour days, 6 days in a row does not make for happier crews. Happy for the overtime, but certainly not quality time at home. I'm living the nightmare.

by GOLDEN-ARM

One mans nightmare, another mans Nirvana...... I made 27 hours last week, and 39 the week before. What I wouldn't give, for those 14 hour days, ad infinitum.....................

by route_rock

Hell golden we have some guys who love being away from home. Just ask their girlfriends you know the ones at the afht :wink: Dont know how their wives feel( well one likes it cause she has met the gf and they do all kinds of things togther!!)
:-D

by pennsy

Hi All,

Also normal for the old Santa Fe. All depended on your seniority. Only the senior men were allowed to get the "plum" jobs. Common run was from LAUS to Barstow with one of the Chiefs, a layover in Barstow for a few hours, and return to LAUS and home.

by jg greenwood

BlackDog wrote:We are trying that here on the CN. In spite of what management says, it doesn't work as a cost saving tool. In theory it should work great, but out here in the Dairyland Disneyland, crews are racking up lots of overtime and the cab company is smiling all the way to the bank.

We are a scheduled railroad, you can set your calender by us.
BD,
We're scheduled alright, in THEIR dreams!
An all time record today BD, 16'30" !

by CSX Conductor

Ironman wrote:Used to be like that on the B&A, up to about 20 years ago. The midpoint was Springfield MA.

The SESP and SPSE, which ended or began their runs in Springfield, swapped at Pittsfield MA.
They only stopped that last year actually. That was an exception because un-like the River Line trains it was advertised that way.

Swapping out half way would be great, as long as you're paid for each, which doesn't always happen on the River Line from what I have heard in the past.