Railroad Forums 

• Trackwork - Eisenhower Pkwy.

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#31099  by Greg

So are they also replacing the River Rd. Bridge, or just the track? I though it might be M&E's doings when I saw the closure warnings. Wow! I need to get down there soon.
Just the track AFAIK.

#32316  by semerson

Does anyone know when this work will be completed? How long can these customers last with their current car deliveries?

Also, once the line is restored, will excursions be able to operate to the end of the line?

#32441  by Tri-State Tom

semerson -

The M&E is refurbishing the entire Whippany line with 155lb. heavy rail ( prompted by new Fed regulations on weight for freight moves ) and new ballast/ties where/as needed. Most grade crossings and portions of the main west of Jefferson Road received new rail ( 131lb. ), ties and ballast a few years ago. Replacing these bridges is the major part of this on-going project.

Future excursions from Whippany - east and west - should be a certainty.

#45393  by Tri-State Tom

Is the ROW back in place here as yet ?

#45396  by semerson

No. I drive past this every day. I keep wondering how long the customers on the other side of the severed section will be able to last with their existing supplies.

What is the status of the Passaic River Bridge?

#45410  by njt4172

I heard from a reliable source that the target date for completion of the bridge is September 1st......so I am assuming it will be a few days after that until they get the tracks laid from the bridge to the parkway....Don't worry.. I'm sure M&E won't loose the B&G customer.....Why would they do all this track work for nothing?

Steve

#45523  by Tri-State Tom

Steve -

I suspect these 2 bridge construction deals have taken longer than anticipated....

#45577  by Greg

Tom,

I spoke with some of the M&E MOW crew last week and they said that the weather has them behind schedule.

#51540  by Angus202

On my way back from tierney's tavern in montclair tonight, several dunes of ballast allongside the ROW caught my attention, which was immediately redirected to the entire track from the bridge to roadway has been entirely rebuilt in less than a week (since I was last at the site saturday). Work looks top notch and as like they'll have no problem being approved for 40MPH running here... up until the grade crossing, after which the track goes to the can again. Caught without the camera tonight, so sorry-no pics, perhaps tomorrow.

-Ryan

#51657  by Tri-State Tom

202 -

"... up until the grade crossing, after which the track goes to the can again. "

New heavier rail will have to be installed from here over to I-280 as well to comply with the new weight rules.

#51659  by njt4172

Tri-State Tom wrote:202 -

"... up until the grade crossing, after which the track goes to the can again. "

New heavier rail will have to be installed from here over to I-280 as well to comply with the new weight rules.

Are we sure that M&E plans on rehabbng the line from Eisenhower Parkway to the Route 280 overpass???

Steve

#51703  by Angus202

I had expected them to do a rebuilt of this area as well - only makes sense to. RCC has however been working on this section as well and replaced a good many of the ties and the spiker has been making trips on the track pulling out and then just respiking in unused holes - doesnt make much sense to be bothering with that if it'll be rebuilt(?). I really hope its just a quick bandaid - even the rail in most sections has the web completely worn and is now just a circular top. We shall see. PS the track was cleared from the 280 overpass to about 25 carlengths east, there currently are 22 tanks sitting on this track after the overpass.

-Ryan

#52294  by Angus202

Took a daylight trip today... ballast was spread and the new span installed... check out the link bellow for a picture of the work. It would appear at current that only this main span will be replaced (and was designed to integrate with the old trestle (as illogical as it sounds), hope I'm wrong. Anyways 488 was loaded up with the supports etc and shoved the supplies east to the site were progress is looking great!

http://www.northshorerecording.com/rail ... assaic.jpg

-Ryan

#52380  by njt4172

If anyone knows when the long movement of tank cars will come east please let the list know....I would love to catch this....I would think M&E would bring at least 10-15 tank cars east out of Roseland....Is the RS-1 still there? It is supposed to be going in the shops for repainting into M&E Retro-1963 orange and blue......

Steve