Railroad Forums 

• Trackside Business': Pubs, taverns, Bars, News, Stationary, etc.

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1534988  by nyandw

I had started a Trackside Business page of the LIRR as it was the life blood and reason for their existence. Perhaps folks might want to add their local ones as they represent a colorful past/present to the history. http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrtr ... siness.htm
Here are some examples: Image
Flatbush Pub, Railroad Ave. Sayville
02/15/08 Photo: Mike McDermet
Full Martini, ex-Anderson's, previous ex-Manor Inn. 04/30/2008

Other examples: Tor's Inn was trackside in Holtsville. Train crews made the station stop and hit the bar with a quick return to the train. During the Prohibition Era, the bar was a speakeasy.

Echo Bar & Grill 1947+ in Port Jefferson.
 #1535040  by tomdoyle409

I would like to add two longtime favorites from my youth, Leo's on Seventh Street in Garden City; it is/was a block away from the GC LIRR station, and Mahoney's on Hillside Avenue in Williston Park. It is no more than 100 yards from The East Williston station. It appears to still be in business. I am presently living about 1,000 miles away, so getting pictures is not practical.
 #1535307  by jhdeasy

I know a couple from New York City who made occasional Sunday roundtrips (several times each year from late 1960s into 1980s) from Penn Station or Woodside to Greenport to enjoy a seafood diner at Claudio's or Mitchell's restaurant on the Peconic Bay waterfront. Sometimes they would do a same day return on Sunday; sometimes they would spend Saturday night at Greenport. Their journey on LIRR often included parlor car seats in at least one direction.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Mitchells- ... 0474497158
 #1535370  by MACTRAXX

Steve: Good subject concerning various types of places of business at or near LIRR stations.

For example the second picture you posted is looking south on Islip Avenue - NYS 111
to the crossing at the east end of Islip Station (Full Martini-4/30/2008) The station is to
the right in the picture behind the buildings. In the same picture note a green fence on
the left of the crossing-just east of Islip Station on the S side of the Montauk Branch
is the "Best Market" Supermarket which was built back about 1969-70 as a PathMark.

Back in the early 70s my parents used to go shopping at this PathMark supermarket on Fridays in the late afternoon/early evening and if the timing was right I would see the
Cannonball passing at speed heading east as a good example.

I remember vividly the variety of LIRR equipment in use back in those days...

R32's mention is about Susan's Pub in Bethpage-which is just east of the 1957 station building alongside the Ronkonkoma Branch tracks.

I noticed a picture from 1963 that you posted of the White Castle adjacent to the E end
of Lynbrook Station which was built sometime in the 1950s. I was in Lynbrook today (2/29) and had lunch at the current White Castle - which was moved about 150 feet
east away from the corner on Sunrise Highway. The original site has parking for White
Castle patrons.

The current Lynbrook White Castle has been rebuilt in recent years and has a modern
interior than what I remembered from past visits primarily back during the 1980s.
The reason for my visit was to go to Trainland - which is east of Lynbrook alongside
Sunrise Highway and the Babylon Branch elevated structure going towards Rockville Centre. Trainland still has one of the largest selections of model trains on Long Island.

There will be other LIRR stations to mention as they come to mind...MACTRAXX
 #1535386  by newkirk

BuddR32 wrote: I don't have a picture, but what about Susan's Pub, Home of the 75 cent Tap Beer ?
I guess the 75 cent tap beer is history !
Attachments:
Susans Pub.JPG
Susans Pub.JPG (274.78 KiB) Viewed 2977 times
 #1535451  by nyandw

MACTRAXX wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:40 amSteve: Good subject concerning various types of places of business at or near LIRR stations.For example the second picture you posted is looking south on Islip Avenue - NYS 111 to the crossing at the east end of Islip Station (Full Martini-4/30/2008) The station is to the right in the picture behind the buildings. In the same picture note a green fence on the left of the crossing-just east of Islip Station on the S side of the Montauk Branch is the "Best Market" Supermarket which was built back about 1969-70 as a PathMark.

Back in the early 70s my parents used to go shopping at this PathMark supermarket on Fridays in the late afternoon/early evening and if the timing was right I would see theCannonball passing at speed heading east as a good example.I remember vividly the variety of LIRR equipment in use back in those days...There will be other LIRR stations to mention as they come to mind...MACTRAXX
The trees in the colorized post card later had the LILCO sub-station placed next to the 'strip mall', LIRR crossing gates installed, and the supermarket(s) and apartment complex behind it built.

If familiar with Islip, this will bring back memories: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/islip/islip.htm To get back to the topic, here are the trackside industries/business's along the ROW in Islip: Past and Present http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/islip/ ... ht2008.htm
An example of the local business across from Pieper's ( later Stanley's 1953)Bakery (next to the Manor Inn - later Full Martini) A Newspaper stationary candy store, butcher, and looks like a small grocer! SE across the street (Islip Ave, Rte 111. Note No one ever called it Rte 111 growing up here!

Because::
Islip Avenue, Joshua's Path, Wheeler Road, Town Line Road, Hauppauge Road
LOCATION: Islip (at NY 27A) to Smithtown (at NY 25 and NY 25A)
NOTES: For many years, NY 111 was the designation for Carleton Avenue between East Islip and Hauppauge, while CR 17 was assigned to Islip Avenue. The alignments for NY 111 and CR 17 were switched in 1972. Further north, NY 111 is multiplexed with CR 76 for one block along the Town Line Road segment in Hauppauge (near Hauppauge High School). In the mid-1960's, the NYSDPW proposed a four-lane divided arterial highway, partially on new alignment, for NY 111. Rights-of-way for this plan were obtained near the northern terminus in Smithtown, where the route was straightened (but never widened). Source: NY State Roads
 #1535612  by nyandw

MACTRAXX wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:40 am Steve: Good subject concerning various types of places of business at or near LIRR stations. I noticed a picture from 1963 that you posted of the White Castle adjacent to the E end
of Lynbrook Station which was built sometime in the 1950s. I was in Lynbrook today (2/29) and had lunch at the current White Castle - which was moved about 150 feet east away from the corner on Sunrise Highway. The original site has parking for White Castle patrons.
"LYNBROOK": 1894. REMODELED: c. 1920. RAZED: 1938 WITH GRADE ELIMINATION. ELEVATED STRUCTURE, 1,113’ WEST OF FORMER LOCATION, IN SVC: 10/18/38 Research: Dave Keller

Anyone know when the newer White Castle was built in the tandem photo, posted previously?
Attachments:
Lynbrook_steam-engine-snow-plowing_crossing Broadway-at-grade-eastbound_viewSW_1931.jpg
Lynbrook_steam-engine-snow-plowing_crossing Broadway-at-grade-eastbound_viewSW_1931.jpg (89.24 KiB) Viewed 2812 times
 #1539443  by NIMBYkiller

My vote goes to the spanish deli in Port Washington right across the street from the train station. Their pupusas are still the best I've had anywhere in the country and are one of the few things I miss about living on the island. All of the food there is amazing, cheap, and I see crews there all the time.

Bar-wise, come on guys, this is easy. TRACKS! RIP :(