Railroad Forums 

• Trackside bars in NY state?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#717069  by scharnhorst

The Pump House restaurant in Seneca Falls I think has a bar in it but don't know it is how ever across the street from the FGLK tracks.
 #717381  by mwichten

Croxley's Ale House in Farmingdale is adjacent to the LIRR main line. They have outdoor seating, and in the cool weather they open up the front so you can literally sit at the bar and watch the trains go by.
 #720303  by SST

Here are the pics that put me in the passenger car for the Station Inn and Restaurant in Ithaca, NY.

This picture is looking at the whole station. My dad and I stayed in the red passenger car.

http://www.railfan.net/railpix/submit/s ... tion_1.jpg

This picture is me actually IN the red passenger car.

http://www.railfan.net/railpix/submit/s ... tion_4.jpg

This last pic is me coming down after overnighting there.

http://www.railfan.net/railpix/submit/s ... tion_5.jpg
 #831065  by RSD15

Got a new one " Trappers 2 " in Minoa ny at the east end of dewitt yard across from the green bridge and cp282.
 #831125  by poppyl

Add the Eagle Hotel in Himrod to the list. It's right next to the FGLK line to Watkins Glen. If your ears are sharp or you know when to watch for it, you can go up the street about half a block from the Eagle and catch NS HO-6 as it makes its evening run northbound to Geneva.

There also is the Crossing Diner just south of the FGLK Rte. 14 crossing in Lakemont. A good place for breakfast and a chance to catch the FGLK making its AM run from Himrod to Watkins Glen. BTW, they only serve breakfast and lunch except for Friday night. No alcoholic beverages, either.

Poppyl
 #831797  by nysw3636

Just a few more I thought of...

Pawling Tavern in Pawling ,NY on MNCR Harlem Line.

Mariner's on the Hudson in Highland,NY on CSX River Sub.

Shadows on the Hudson in Poughkeepsie on MNCR Hudson Line (and you can clearly see CSX River Sub).

Hopewell Inn in Hopewell Junction,NY on MNCR Beacon Line.

The Rhinecliff in Rhinecliff,NY on CSX Hudson Sub.

Gully's in Newburgh,NY on CSX River Sub.

Re:

#832458  by Matt Langworthy

Otto Vondrak wrote:Charlotte Station itself was in the process of being converted into a restaurant last I heard... but you could get pretty bored waiting for a train to go by...
That hasn't happened yet but Schooner's is across the street from the tracks in Charlotte.
 #832494  by poppyl

Paul W. Brasky wrote:"The Rhinecliff in Rhinecliff,NY on CSX Hudson Sub."

poppyl, Did you mean the old Rhinecliff Hotel (now a upscale hotel & restaurant)?
Nope. The Eagle Hotel in Himrod actually was a hotel in the old, old days. In my youth it was a bar. More recently it has been re-modeled into a bar/restraurant combo. It sits right next to the old PRR Northern Division (now FGLK) track. The NS Corning Division track is about a half a block in back of the Eagle. The NS junctions with the FGLK just to the north of the Eagle (but out of sight of the restraurant).

Poppyl
 #833035  by Matt Langworthy

Bill Gray's Tap Room is across the highway (Route 104) from the Ontario Midland RR in the town of Ontario, with Northern Biodiesel being a rail customer nearby. I have spent the better part of this year tracking freight activity there in this thread:

http://www.american-rails-forums.com/vi ... 42&start=0

It's not the most active line in the area, but it is interesting.
 #838749  by Bigt

Try "THE HOOT OWL" in Canton, NY. Located on Park Street. Located in the former
New York Central station. Sits on the current CSX St. Lawrence Division line, former
Conrail and Penn Central Montreal Secondary. Not a lot of train action unfortunately...
Down to 2 or 3 trains per day including a local. CSX has petitioned to drop service level
....will be a glorified local out of Dewitt 2 to 3 times a week running to Massena, NY.

The HOOT OWL is a college bar....but, all are welcome. Canton is the home of
SUNY Canton, and, St. Lawrence University. The bar just celebrated their 40th anniversary.
 #855152  by andre

poughkeepsie station in the afternoon if you walk across the parking lot theres an old building by the water converted to restaurants with outdoor seating and perfect line of sight to the station and tracks, decent traffic passing through LSL, empire, and commuter runs

theres an irish pub, also an amazing italian restaurant with a small bar section
 #855628  by Otto Vondrak

Matt Langworthy wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:Charlotte Station itself was in the process of being converted into a restaurant last I heard... but you could get pretty bored waiting for a train to go by...
That hasn't happened yet but Schooner's is across the street from the tracks in Charlotte.
You'll still be waiting a looooong time for a train to show up!
 #855710  by Matt Langworthy

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Matt Langworthy wrote:
You'll still be waiting a looooong time for a train to show up!
Not necessarily, Otto. The spur into the paper company on Boxart street is trailing... which is fine when the local comes up the line to drop off a string of boxcars. Would CSX then perform a long shove back to Kodak Park? Nope. I live in Irondequoit and I still hear horns from northern Charlotte, so I can only assume that CSX uses the siding up there to run the engines around the train for the return trip. Therefore, it is possible to see a train at Schooner's... if one knows which day(s) the local will run up to the northern end of the Charlotte Runner.

And since we're on the subject of trackside bars, I'll include Prince George's in East Rochester. It sits at the corner of Main Street and East Maple Avenue- across the road from the Chicago Line.