Railroad Forums 

• Tracks crossing Route 100 In Pottstown

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#25750  by GSP163

Down in Pottstown their is a set of tracks that crosses Route 100 with a grade crossing.....It's located not that far north from Harrisburg NS line.....Anyone know what this line is, where it goes, and if it's still used today?....Thanks

#25864  by rushhour

The is the Boyertown line. Formerly known as the Colebrookdale branch back in the RDG days. The line is run by PRL. They operate sometime during the week so I'll post times when I find out. If you have anymore questions please drop me an e-mail and I'll be gald to help ya out.

John

#55781  by Schuylkill Valley

The PRL run every Tuesday from 8am. to 12 noon. The track splits off the Ex. Reading Main line at CG interlocking Near Rt. 100 bridge over West High street. and ends on top of the bridge over Old Rt. 100 in New Berlinville, Pa. The bridge has YMCA on it .

hope that helps,
Len.

#59824  by NYSW3614

Some RR used to cross Rt. 100 as well here in Exton- and ran parallel to Business 30. Looks like a trail until you get 5 minutes down the "line"- weeds again. I guess at some point you could have watched a train cross here in addition to the PRR freight and passenger mains a bit down the road.

When was the PRR freight main abandoned in this area? Where does the freight go now?

Thanks!

#59884  by glennk419

The tracks that used to cross Rt 100 at grade in Exton were the Reading's Chester Valley branch which ran between Downington and Bridgeport. The very eastern portion of this branch still operates to a recycling facility near Henderson Road in King of Prussia.

I do not know the exact dates that the PRR low grade was abandoned, NS still operates freight along the western end of the Trenton cutoff, I believe as far as Coatesville. All other westbound freight runs on the ex-RDG main to Reading and Harrisburg.
 #60767  by jrevans

rushhour wrote:The is the Boyertown line. Formerly known as the Colebrookdale branch back in the RDG days. The line is run by PRL. They operate sometime during the week so I'll post times when I find out. If you have anymore questions please drop me an e-mail and I'll be gald to help ya out.

John
I read on some other mailing list that the Boyertown line is out of service, due to some sort of vehicle(automobile) accident that wiped out a bridge just South of Boyertown. They say that two locomotives are "stranded" in Boyertown.

Anyone have any details about this? Pictures?

#62561  by NYSW3614

Sorry about that.

#68698  by Schuylkill Valley

Josh,
That line is of the Wilmington & Northern`s French Creek Branch all part of the Ex. Reading Company. In fact in the village of St. Peters there were two railroad companies at one time.

The Delaware River and Lancaster Railroad (or Sow Belly as the locals called it), was chartered on June 23, 1890 and went from French creek Jct. at the village of Kimberton to Falls of French creek ( St. Peters Village ) a total of 12.6 miles. This line was then referred as the French Creek Valley line in later years. Stops along the way were , French Creek Jct. , Kennedy, Wilson, Hollow, Sheder, Pughtown,Coventryville, Rock Run and St. Peters. So ladies and gentlemen if you're not going to theses places you're on the wrong train. All Aboard.

Hope that helps,
Len.
 #103140  by jrevans

jrevans wrote:
rushhour wrote:The is the Boyertown line. Formerly known as the Colebrookdale branch back in the RDG days. The line is run by PRL. They operate sometime during the week so I'll post times when I find out. If you have anymore questions please drop me an e-mail and I'll be gald to help ya out.

John
I read on some other mailing list that the Boyertown line is out of service, due to some sort of vehicle(automobile) accident that wiped out a bridge just South of Boyertown. They say that two locomotives are "stranded" in Boyertown.

Anyone have any details about this? Pictures?

Anyone know if the damaged bridge on the Boyertown line has been fixed yet? Just curious.

#117659  by Schuylkill Valley

Getting back on track with the Philadelphia & Thorndale ( P&T) branch of the PRR. It was taken out of service in 1987 . I remember as a kid going to school and seeing the train crossing the steel bridge over Costsville.

Len.