Railroad Forums 

• Tracks by Rowan University

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1017644  by afboone

Folks, drove down to Rowan over the weekend and see there are active tracks just before the University. Who is using them? SMS? How far do they go down? Thanks in advance.
 #1017669  by pumpers

That is Conrail (ex PRSL, before that PRR/WJS(?) ) from Camden to Vineland and Millville. Before PRSL, it is how the PRR got to Cape May (the line continued past Millville). There was also a branch to Atlantic City (Newfield Branch). I think WInchester & Western, which goes to Bridgeton and beyond to the sand pits on ex-CNJ, now interchanges at Millville and then goes back up via Vineland to get to Bridgeton. THere is also traffic from the Seabrook branch, north of Bridgeton (ex CNJ?), but don't know if that is handled by W&W or Conrail themselves directly or someone else.

There is talk about putting in light rail from Philadelphia (or Camden?) along this line to Glassboro. JS
 #1017703  by rrbluesman

If you go a block or two further east on the tracks from Rowan the historic WJS station still stands, the last I was there it was in a serious state of neglect and disrepair, although I heard the town/county had a desire to restore it.
 #1017752  by afboone

Cool thanks. A light rail might be good if Rowen takes over Rutgers U in Camden. Then the students could use the light rail to get there.
 #1017876  by pumpers

Actually, Glassboro must have been quite the RR town in its day. The WJS/PRR line had a junction in the center of town, with one now-abandoned branch running straight to Bridgeton. And halfway to Bridgeton at Elmer a branch came off of that which ran to Salem (and as we recently found out from Trainlawyer here, this was the original route to Salem). The Reading came in from the east from a junction on their line to Atlantic City, crossed the WJS on the south side of town, and continued west to Mullica Hill. JS
 #1018764  by Mr. Ed

8.1 million was just appropriated for an environmental study to run light rail from Glassboro to Camden, AF. It has been a topic of conversation and contention for years. Now since this is an active freight line, one has to wonder why there needs to be an environmental study done. I say that it is just a very simple idea to go borrow the Susquehanna RDc from SRNJ and ran the thing up and down the line. If business picks up, add a second car say from the CMSL fleet. If and when the need arises to run four or five RDCs, then go buy a few sets of light rail cars. Or just extend the riverline to Glassboro. OOPS! Too simple and no kickbacks from engineers and contractors.

Later!
Mr. Ed
 #1128372  by mbazikos

I took a drive up the Millville line into Vineland along the boulevard and noticed that the switch was taken out for T&T Freezers. It seems its been over a year since I saw any boxcars parked there. The rest of the spur is still intact.
 #1152403  by radioboy

afboone wrote:Cool thanks. A light rail might be good if Rowen takes over Rutgers U in Camden. Then the students could use the light rail to get there.
Rowan has its own presence in Camden already. The Rutgers plan is ill-concieved and probably won't happen.
Mr. Ed wrote:8.1 million was just appropriated for an environmental study to run light rail from Glassboro to Camden, AF. It has been a topic of conversation and contention for years. Now since this is an active freight line, one has to wonder why there needs to be an environmental study done.
Because Tom Corbett and Jeff Nash have to give their nephews jobs somehow.

It's been studied so many times it's not even funny. When I was at Rowan the magic year was 2013. Now that 2013 is here, they just told the board of trustees they want 2019. Meanwhile neither DRPA nor NJT wants to run the thing. It's such a pathetic joke at this point.
 #1199583  by OldRedLeg

rrbluesman wrote:If you go a block or two further east on the tracks from Rowan the historic WJS station still stands, the last I was there it was in a serious state of neglect and disrepair, although I heard the town/county had a desire to restore it.
In today's edition of the South Jersey Times 7/12/13
http://www.nj.com/gloucester-county/ind ... cart_river" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;