Railroad Forums 

• Tracks being rebuilt to ex-MEC Rockland, ME station

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#139671  by wolfmom69

:P Great news!! While it has been rumored.that te State of Maine(and MERR) have wanted to extend the tracks from the Rockland Yard,alongside Route 1,to the old Passenger Station,making it much easuer for riders to visit downtown Rockland,without a long walk(from the end of the Rockland Wharf Branch,just past the Dragon barge load facility),it is being done-NOW!!

Federal funds have paid for most of the 1 + million $$ project. A N.J. rail contractor is doing the actual 1900 ft. of track,and a local contractor,the grading etc. The old tracks to the station,also cross several streets,and train crews will flag these until AHD,and maybe gates,are put in this fall.

Maine's Governor wants the job done by Sat. July 2(probably when first regular torist train is set to run. So crews are working 24/7!!!

There were several consignees in this area,mostly distribution warehouses,but were gone by the end of 70's,along with a couple of team tracks. Doubt if the station,now occupied for other uses,will be used in the near future.

Anyway,good news,and Portland's Ch.6 is fast becoming the railfans station for its good coverage! Bud :-)

#139688  by TomNelligan

Good news, but, jeez... a million bucks for restoring 1900 feet of track for yard-speed service? What are they doing, putting in mahogany ties and gold-plated rails or something?

I remember first visiting Rockland yard in 1966, not that long after MEC passenger service ended. Congrats to Maine Eastern for making it possible to ride the line again.

#140473  by RG479

Check out the Maine DOT website for the projects in Rockland. $400,000 is to rehabilitate the station. Other projects are to install signals at Broadway (former end of track and start of wharf branch). Federal TEA21 Enhancements is paying for part of this. All aboard for the Lobster Festival!

Bob M

#140564  by Cowford

... and people wonder why Maine has among the the highest per-capita tax burden in the country... I'm sure glad federal funds are helping; it makes me sleep well at night knowing that I'm helping to pay for it. I vote that Maine next takes over the BML and provide commuter service to Unity and Burnham Junction... or the Calais sub to offer passenger service to Machias... or commuter service on the old Mtn sub to Fryeburg. Gosh, so many stupid a.. projects, so little time.

#140601  by MEC407

Cowford wrote:Gosh, so many stupid a.. projects, so little time.
These "stupid a.." projects were all approved by Maine voters. It's not like some guy up in an ivory tower is doing it against the will of the citizens.

Don't like it? Get out there and start a petition for a people's veto. :-D

#141275  by Cowford

These "stupid a.." projects were all approved by Maine voters. It's not like some guy up in an ivory tower is doing it against the will of the citizens.
You have a point... but happy to say I'm not a Maine taxpayer. :P

Before you know it, they'll be applying funds to bring back the old CP's "Scoot" mixed train... because, dammit, the future of Greenville depends on it!

#141282  by NRGeep

And federal corporate welfare continues unabated for the trucking industry...

#141480  by scoopernicus_in_Maine

I do look forward to using the train go visit Rockland this summer. My brother-in-law lives there, and it would be nice to visit, while at the same time avoiding the summer traffic on Route 1.

I just hope something can be worked out to connect the train from Portland (where I live) to Brunswick so I can ride the train all the way.

As for taxes, you get what you pay for. I'm a lifelong Maine resident, and love living here. I could move to Kansas for low taxes, but I suspect I'd be pretty miserable there.

#142323  by mb41

I'm riding this this summer, great route, great views. I'm happy rail service has returned.

#143830  by Steam

On Saturday, July 2nd, we rode the M/E from Brunswick to Rockland on the first day of this season's regular operations. Happy to report the FL-9s are running back to back on the head end in both directions and open-platform obs "Ohio River" (a 1920's vintage heavyweight L&N car) was bringing up the rear. For $55 RT, you could ride there and have complimentary snacks and drinks served all day. What a thrill to sit out there on that open rear platform and watch the scenery whiz past. Understand that car will be there only a short time and will be replaced by some other first class service. The new track into the old Rockland station was completed and the train rolled right up to the very end just short of the station. A new asphalt platform had just been laid down, and all the old yard has been torn out right down to the sub-roadbed. Don't know what the plans call for, but this was a huge improvement over last season. Now you are only a 2-block, 5 minute walk to downtown. We had a terrific time and anticipate doing it again soon. Can't say enough about it.

#144289  by trainhq

How many people on board?

#144305  by scoopernicus_in_Maine

How many people on board?
Yeah, I'd be curious to hear more about it.

I'm hoping to take a ride on the train this summer. Is there enough within walking distance of the station to fill four hours before catching the train back to Brunswick?

#144378  by Steam

By the time the train stopped for additional riders at Bath and Wiscasset, it appeared to be about 1/2 full. Interestingly, the extra fare first class car was filled.

Rockland has lots of things to do during the layover. There are stores and restaurants, museums, boat tours, parks, etc., enough for everyone's tastes. There's even a real old fashioned drugstore, complete with operating soda fountain. A newly restored movie theater just opened. So, yes, there's plenty to occupy your time. We had to cut short some things to get back to the station on time!

I think with enough promotion, this train will be a real winner.

#144384  by Rockingham Racer

Sounds like an interesting trip. Does anyone know of any marketing of this experience? Brochures in Portland hotels, etc.?