Railroad Forums 

• Tracks along 11 south of Binghamton.

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1326274  by njsteelersfan

I believe they are NYSW tracks, in the years I have been going up there I have never seen a train on this stretch of track from south of the Frito Lay plant to the state line. Are these live tracks live? If so does anybody know the schedule? Thanks.
 #1326281  by cjvrr

Yes, this is the NYS&W's "Central New York" leased railway owned by Norfolk Southern. I know, its a mouthful and may be confusing.

Line was originally the Erie mainline from Binghamton east to Port Jervis and eventually to NYC. Ended up with Conrail then NS. They leased it to a subsidiary of NYS&W for tax reasons. NYS&W maintains the line, has obtain tax incentives and has gotten grants to upgrade the track and signal system.

NYS&W runs trains on the line mostly at night between Binghamton and NJ. Trains run east Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday nights around 6-8pm. The returning trains leave NJ at 4-6pm on Mon, Wed, and Fri. There are locals once in a while too and they run as needed.
 #1330508  by lvrr325

I always seem to manage to see a train moving around Binghamton on a Sunday. Or parked waiting for a crew to head east.

It's NYS&W/ex-Erie as far as Great Bend, then you cross the track and the river and parallell the ex-DL&W which is now NS (and was CP Rail most recently).
 #1380870  by lvrr325

Last time I came up through I went the DL&W side as far as the bridge across at Kirkwood. Sat down to eat in the truck stop there and I finally see a train - Susquehanna going east. Sunday evenings is a good time apparently.