Railroad Forums 

• Tracking Tag For Locomotive Inspection

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#155545  by UPRR engineer

The UP is getting pretty serious about engineers putting in the information on there tie ups. They now take a two cards with matching numbers, staple one to the blue card and the other to the inspection card. Theres a number there suppost to call on the cards at the 90 day inspection. Im guessing there gonna compair the inspection cards to the locomotive inspections that have been entered during tie up and start nailing some of these lazy hogs that dont bother with it during there tie up. Wonder what kind of discipline there gonna hand out for those that choose not to enter it.

I had heard that the FRA hit UP with a fine for not having a good record of locomotives that were inspected out in the field, i dont know if thats true or not. But tagging units with cards seems like a pretty smart way of solving the problem.

Do you other guys have to enter it in the computer now, (CSX, NS, BN) or are they still taking paper reports?

#156609  by CSX Conductor

Still paper reports here. One copy is turned-in while the carbon-copy remains in the book on the locomotive.
 #157247  by thirdtrick

never did figure out how to do a proper tie-up when we would interchange with UP. seems like everyone had a different method. once i accidentally threw the air slip in my grip & took it back to the hotel... man i got ripped good for that one. the yardmaster there loathed us with a passion, but the guys were cool. their computer actually worked so we could see when we'd be getting out. we always took the worst power down there: smoking 4-axles, leased junk, and would come home in brand new UP wide bodies. one engineer i talked to said they can download your trip on-the-fly now via satellite, catch you red-handed.

#157260  by UPRR engineer

Where do you work third trick? Nebraska? I have a hard time talking about air slips. Did you know about air slips LCJ buddy? Did the carmen at Conrail leave them on locals and at originating terminals? Well if you didnt know, trainmen are now required to fill them out and leave them for the relieving crew. Working a local or bringing a DPU train into town.......Grrrrr For those who dont know, before you could hand off a train to another crew with as little info as how many cars were on train and the condition of the power, now there's this slip or slips that follows the train symbol till it arrives at its final terminal. I dogcatch ALOT of trains, i never did figure out who's job it was to make sure the air slip is "on board". I'm guessing its the conductors job, the cab signal card is mine. Who knows, i know that i dont carry any.
Last edited by UPRR engineer on Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#157269  by UPRR engineer

3rdtrick wrote:we always took the worst power down there: smoking 4-axles, leased junk
Thanks for posting. Thats my kinda power buddy. I forgot you threw that in there, i knew id mess the quote thing up for sure if tryed to edit. I worked all night. Tough Duty. Keep sending those leasers west buddy.

WHO WAS IT THAT SAID THEY HELD THERE ARM OUT THE WINDOW TO KEEP THEM AWAKE???? Good tip friend!!! :wink: Conductor and brakeman didnt like all the extra noise, but i needed it. Hard weekend, lots of work, lots of money. I know its monday for you city folk, some of us just finished the weekend at around noon on monday.
 #157769  by thirdtrick

yeah up e., we used to interchange in about illinois. worst hotel ever. had to walk a half-mile to find beer. always raining.

i guess the ffa is behind all the new air requirements, cause it's the same for us dogcatching. you can't just knock off a few handbrakes, turn on the lights, mumble at the dispatcher & rip anymore. god help you if you're dangerous... pretty much have to walk the thing to be legal.

especially in these days... http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2005/07 ... 7_8_05.txt

have to agree with you though... i'll take a sand-spewing, eardrum-splitting gp38-2 any day...

#157832  by UPRR engineer

Guess i kinda posted it wrong, you use to know that the train had been air tested because, well we just pulled it from the plant, down the mainline and now its here and im giving it to you, but now it has to have an air slip on the lead motor. Thats what i was talking about, the proof that an air test took place.
 #158180  by thirdtrick

yeah i see what you mean. i guess from my seat i'm more worried about where all the chlorine cars are that don't show on the paperwork...

#158352  by Guest

UPRR engineer wrote:Guess now it has to have an air slip on the lead motor. Thats what i was talking about, the proof that an air test took place.
Yeah, that's an FRA thing. Proof of a Class I Brake Inspection at the initial terminal. AKA "air slip".

-r

#158630  by slchub

UPRR,

SLC training center told us we (Hogger) must ensure that the air slip is on-board when we start our journey per GCOR, else it is an FRA violation.

30.10.3: Engineer Notification

The engineer must be notified in writing at locations where an initial terminal air brake test (Class 1) is performed on the entire train.

#160505  by UPRR engineer

They say everything is the engineers job in the training center. :wink: I disagreeded with my instructor often on a few subjects. They way i read that rule, if theres no notification, ill let the conductor know. Its my job to check it and thats as far as it goes. Alot of guys walk out of the center thinking there suppost to be the engineer and share the conductor's job which leads to hoghead switchman. Helping out someone who needs it is different. The conductor is the boss, alot of guys turn there job into just get the paperwork, and after a while thats all they know.

Hey buddy who was your instructor, cool guy Keith for the Sim, but who did your classroom training?