Railroad Forums 

• Trackage Rights

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1581651  by John_Perkowski

I’m thinking of the KCS-CP merger.

KCS currently uses BNSF from NKC-Murray to Lincoln, and perhaps into Iowa. As I understand it, the former CMStP&P runs into Iowa, and will be a gain in the merger.

In addition, CP uses the historic CB&Q to move the Keystone Pipeline oil trains. Would those be diverted to joint KCS/CP trackage?

Inquiring minds.
 #1581682  by JayBee

John_Perkowski wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:15 pm I’m thinking of the KCS-CP merger.

KCS currently uses BNSF from NKC-Murray to Lincoln, and perhaps into Iowa. As I understand it, the former CMStP&P runs into Iowa, and will be a gain in the merger.

In addition, CP uses the historic CB&Q to move the Keystone Pipeline oil trains. Would those be diverted to joint KCS/CP trackage?

Inquiring minds.
The ex-MILW runs across Northern Iowa ending at Sheldon, no where near Lincoln, and not that close to Omaha which KCS gets to to serve a grain elevator.

The only piece of track that could be considered a portion of the former CB&Q is the former Davenport, Rock Island & NorthWestern that may have been sold by CB&Q to the DRI&NW which was jointly owned by MILW and CB&Q later BN. This was split up by BN and Soo with the Soo getting everything in Iowa, but BN getting full trackage rights from Savanna to Davenport. I don't know if the Q built any of the former DRI&NW in Iowa but it is possible. In any case they don't use any trackage that was Q since the 1950's.
 #1588559  by Engineer Spike

JayBee I worked those lines in my BNSF days soon after the merger. I never worked the Clinton based local to, but have switched out their cars in Barstow. What I'm not sure about is whether some of the Iowa side customers are BN(SF)'s or SOO (DM&E), or whether they can be served by either railroad. I think that SOO (IMRL in my era) switched the IH combine plant. I know that we handled lots of them too.

One question that comes to mind is how BN got the ex Milwaukee Nitran line? DME presently serves it.
 #1588572  by JayBee

Engineer Spike wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:48 pm JayBee I worked those lines in my BNSF days soon after the merger. I never worked the Clinton based local to, but have switched out their cars in Barstow. What I'm not sure about is whether some of the Iowa side customers are BN(SF)'s or SOO (DM&E), or whether they can be served by either railroad. I think that SOO (IMRL in my era) switched the IH combine plant. I know that we handled lots of them too.
All customers served by the DRI&NW on both sides of the river can be served by both BN (now BNSF) and Soo (now DM&E).
Soo became responsible for maintaining and dispatching the Iowa side and BN the Illinois side.
Engineer Spike wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:48 pm One question that comes to mind is how BN got the ex Milwaukee Nitran line? DME presently serves it.
I believe the Soo portion of the Nitrin line passed to BN at the time of the DRI&NW split with Soo retaining trackage rights