Railroad Forums 

• Trackage Rights On The LNE?

• Discussion of the L&NR railroad for the period 1868-1961 at its inclusion in the Central of New Jersey. Also includes predecessors South Mountain and Boston Railroad, Pennsylvania, Poughkeepsie and New England Railroad, and others.
Discussion of the L&NR railroad for the period 1868-1961 at its inclusion in the Central of New Jersey. Also includes predecessors South Mountain and Boston Railroad, Pennsylvania, Poughkeepsie and New England Railroad, and others.

Moderator: David

#40550  by biker

Just like the LHR granted trackage rights to the Reading & Pennsy for through freight into NY from PA, did the LNE ever grant trackage rights to another railroad through NJ for any reason?

#40769  by rushhour

Not that I'm aware of. I will say about 35% of the mainline for the L&NE through "Joisey" was on NYS&W trackage (Hainesburg-Swartswood).

Take care

#41480  by NJ Vike

rushhour wrote:Not that I'm aware of. I will say about 35% of the mainline for the L&NE through "Joisey" was on NYS&W trackage (Hainesburg-Swartswood).

Take care
That's correct. I have some pictures of some remains of this area.

Swarstwood still has the remain of a water tower.
 #64056  by Statkowski

biker wrote:Just like the LHR granted trackage rights to the Reading & Pennsy for through freight into NY from PA, did the LNE ever grant trackage rights to another railroad through NJ for any reason?
The deal with the L&HR was not a case of trackage rights per se, but more a case of working off mileage accrued from the L&HR's use of PRR and CNJ tracks going to and from Bethlehem, Pa.

I'm sure that if the NYS&W wanted, it could have come up with a similar arrangement with the L&NE over their use of NYS&W tracks, but I suppose they found the monetary compensation simpler to deal with. The two roads' traffic patterns were totally different, so it's kind of hard to see how or why the NYS&W would be able to work off any accrued mileage.
 #64085  by NJ Vike

Statkowski wrote:
biker wrote:Just like the LHR granted trackage rights to the Reading & Pennsy for through freight into NY from PA, did the LNE ever grant trackage rights to another railroad through NJ for any reason?
The deal with the L&HR was not a case of trackage rights per se, but more a case of working off mileage accrued from the L&HR's use of PRR and CNJ tracks going to and from Bethlehem, Pa.

I'm sure that if the NYS&W wanted, it could have come up with a similar arrangement with the L&NE over their use of NYS&W tracks, but I suppose they found the monetary compensation simpler to deal with. The two roads' traffic patterns were totally different, so it's kind of hard to see how or why the NYS&W would be able to work off any accrued mileage.
As far as I know, there was no reciprocation between the NYS&W and L&NE. There might have been a time when the that might of happened prior to 1938 when the NYS&W had a connection with the WB&E in PA but the NYS&W went to Hanford (NJ/NYState line) while the L&NE went to Maybrook.

#138514  by rhallock

There were occasional detour moves of L&HR over L&NE and vice versa in cases where one line was closed by a wreck or flood. The only other thing that might have qualified was soon after the line was built (and before it became L&NE) The line was then the PP&B and was leased and operated by the Philadelphia & Reading Ry. After the Reading went bankrupt, the lines in NJ and NY were operated by NYS&W.

#157023  by NJ Vike

rhallock wrote:There were occasional detour moves of L&HR over L&NE and vice versa in cases where one line was closed by a wreck or flood. The only other thing that might have qualified was soon after the line was built (and before it became L&NE) The line was then the PP&B and was leased and operated by the Philadelphia & Reading Ry. After the Reading went bankrupt, the lines in NJ and NY were operated by NYS&W.
I thought the lines were never built? I remember reading that the L&NE, at least here in NJ thought it was more feasible to just work out a deal with the NYS&W then to lay rail through NJ.

I know the DL&W did put two openings for this line when the cut-off was in the works.