Railroad Forums 

• Track worker

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1420718  by NYCLInighttrain

Hey guys just looking for some insight,I'm new here I just recently passed the track worker exam for metro north went for my ability test passed that and just waiting back on my urinalysis, I live on the eastern end of Long Island my question is how long until I can establish seniority and how would I get to be placed in grand central thx you
 #1420929  by dunee88

NYCLInighttrain wrote:Hey guys just looking for some insight,I'm new here I just recently passed the track worker exam for metro north went for my ability test passed that and just waiting back on my urinalysis, I live on the eastern end of Long Island my question is how long until I can establish seniority and how would I get to be placed in grand central thx you
First off congrats. There is no way to tell how long it will take to get to GCT. I'm not sure if there are even track guys there so maybe someone else can clear it up. As far as seniority it all depends. If no one with more seniority wants to go to GCT , it's yours. Could be a few months, could be many years. The good news is if you decide to come down to LIRR, your railroad time counts, but you will again be the low man in seniority.
 #1420935  by NYCLInighttrain

Hey thank you dunee88, I have been trying forever to get in the LIRR I have taken 3 test with them but failed 😖, how does transferring work in the rail road, would I have to take a test all over again? I am looking forward to start work with the MTA but the travel is a lot, this may sound stupid but is the MTA good about placing ppl close to home? My recruiter told me he has no control on where I could be placed.
 #1420953  by dunee88

Yeh there is no way to control that. You could be in Connecticut, Bronx or all the way up in Harmon. Just do what you need to do to be on time. Absolute must. As far as transferring, yes you will need to test and go through the process all over again which many people have done so don't take your eye off LIRR.
 #1420971  by NYCLInighttrain

Hey dunee88 thank you for the information it's a big decision for me and my family, is their a tone of overtime like they say 😀?and I know the senior guys get to pick first, Yes I know they are big on being on time that's what worries me being so far out on the east end and all, I'm always on time30 min early, in my current job now. Croton Harmon or Poughkeepsie wouldn't be good😫 But I know I would be the low man. I know all about that in my current job now
 #1420973  by NYCLInighttrain

NYCLInighttrain wrote:Hey dunee88 thank you for the information it's a big decision for me and my family, is their a tone of overtime like they say 😀?and I know the senior guys get to pick first, Yes I know they are big on being on time that's what worries me being so far out on the east end and all, I'm always on time30 min early, in my current job now. Croton Harmon or Poughkeepsie wouldn't be good😫 But I know I would be the low man. I know all about that in my current job now
And off hand do you have any idea on how long it takes for the urinalysis to come back I have been waiting anxiously for 3weeks and no I don't do any drugs
 #1420997  by dunee88

Whoa 3 weeks seems long. It usually takes a week for almost all drug tests. A polite call or email won't hurt. Good luck