Railroad Forums 

• Track Question - Canton to Potsdam NY

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1310379  by Bigt

On the old New York Central line from Syracuse to Norwood (now, Massena), specifically
between Canton and Potsdam, at a location known as Eben (now, the County Road #35 crossing),
the roadbed is quite wide, as if a second track may have existed at one time. This extends from
the crossing in both directions. I have seen RR maintenance vehicles use this "road", as well as
emergency vehicles. Can anyone tell me if indeed a second track, i.e., a passing track, may have
been located here many years ago? If so, length? Signals involved? As a child, I seem to remember
a siding (?) that went to a LP Gas dealer located near the crossing. Would that have been involved in
any of the trackage? Thanks in advance.
 #1311201  by Bigt

Thanks, Jack. It leads me to wonder why there would have been two sidings there,
of those lengths. Obviously, of some purpose, but, what? As I said before, I only
remember the LP gas dealer located there. Would it have been a convenient place
to "hold" cars? I remember the old-timers on the Canton Local talking about how the
old Norwood yard was so much better than the "new" Massena yard......would these
sidings have figured into operations at the Norwood yard? When did the Massena yard
"open"......after the 1953 ETT you have?
 #1311253  by RussNelson

Bigt wrote:the old Norwood yard was so much better than the "new" Massena yard......would these
sidings have figured into operations at the Norwood yard?
Maybe. The old Norwood yard was at least ten tracks wide, and headed southward in the direction of the Rutland tracks. It was built on fill in a wetland (which of course would never be allowed these days), and you can still walk on the old yard without getting your feet wet (assuming that beaver is now gone).