Railroad Forums 

• Track Plan for Winona, MN

• Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.
Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.

Moderator: Komachi

#275234  by slambert

Yesterday I was in Winona, MN looking at what was left of the CNW industry and yard tracks, and was appalled to see just how much of it is now gone. I recall when this used to be a very busy area for the CNW and although remnants of tracks and buildings remain, the true scale of operations is long gone from the area. But, that may not have to be true forever...

I have been looking for a reason to build a modular switching layout with a lot of action in a small area, and my limited research along with information from friends who remember the action have got me wanting to model this area. So, I am on a quest for information and plans for what used to be CNW's Winona, MN industrial area, including the shop facilities and Tower CK. If anyone knows of an online source, a book, or an old CNW hand that knows the area, please direct me to such information. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.
 #275847  by Komachi

Yeah.

Not a pretty sight, is it?

Probably worse now than when I was there eight years ago.

I would recomend contacting the Winona County Historical Society, but a friend of mine who lives in the Winona area tells me that a chunk of the railroad collection has been misplaced. I cannot verify this, as I don't live in Winona and am not a part of the railroad club there anymore. That would be my first suggestion.

I would then follow up by contacting the Chicago & Northwestern Historical Society. They probably could point you to some good resources (if they don't have it themselves).

Here's a link to the CNWHS homepage...

http://www.cnwhs.org/

In fact, here's a link to their photo gallery with some shots of Tower CK, shortly before it was torn down...

http://www.cnwhs.org/memberphotos/thumb ... =8&page=24

Hope that helps you get started.

I, too, plan on modeling a bit of Winona on my layout. But, I'm also just in the planning stages as well. (Other things in life are taking precedent at the moment too, so things are kind of on hold at the moment). Hope you make better progress.

BTW, check out my thread in the "Stations, Terminals and Yards" forum regarding the C&NW/CGW yard and shop complex...

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=88

#279993  by SlowFreight

I'm on the road, so I can't pull the issue, but the CNWHS did several articles on the Winona area that included vintage track charts. One article focused on the CGW lines, another on the Winona and St. Peter. You can buy individual issues on CD from them, so I'd suggest perusing the website.

Don't forget to include GB&W in your track plans. Something really nice about candy-apple red Alcos pulling boxes full of paper...