Railroad Forums 

• track pans east of Rochester

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#851127  by judgesmails

A friend of mine recalls seeing track pans / water troughs in use on the NYC's Chicago Line, but since he was very young at the time he can only recall that the location was somewhere to the east of Rochester (likely within Wayne County, or extreme eastern Monroe County). I know that there were track pans in use in Palmyra, but were there other locations in this general area? Also, how soon after dieselization would the track pans have been removed? Thanks for any help!
 #851147  by roadster

The only Pan location in that area I am familiar with is East Palmyra, Between Swifts landing Rd crossing and South Creek Rd. crossing West of MP 346. While the pans are long gone there are a series of concrete pits along the SE side of the mains here which were the wells to supply water for the pans. West of here at Wayneport, was a large coaling/service facility where most all trains needed to stop for fuel and water. Once fueled(topped off with coal) and water, NYC passenger trains did not need to stop for coal again the rest of the trip to Chicago. maybe somebody with a steam era timetable could list some of the pan locations around upstate NY.
 #851211  by Old & Weary

For Starters, the employee timetable for the Syracuse-Rochester and Buffalo Divisions dated 4/27/52 lists only "Seneca River" and Churchville in service on tracks 1 and 2. Curiously they are not otherwise identified by milage or any other indications in the timetable. Guess the track pans at Wende near the present prison were out of service by this time. Seneca River must be the pans at East Palmyra cited by Roadster.
 #851337  by dj_paige

According to "A Railroad Atlas of the United States in 1946" by Richard Carpenter, the next track pans to the east beyond East Palmyra were at Rome (approx MP 251) and then at Yosts (MP 193)
 #851351  by judgesmails

Thanks very much for the detailed information! I will pass this on to my friend, who I'm sure will be happy to know exactly where he saw the track pans in use all of those years ago.
 #851359  by roadster

Hum, the Seneca River is 25 miles east of East Palmyra near Savannah NY, MP 320. I suspect that most of the Pans were removed by '52 as most NYC passenger trains were hauled by diesels by this time. Negating the need for picking water on the fly, which was done to reduce the travel time between New York City and Chicago for steam powered passenger trains.
 #851390  by judgesmails

Regarding the tender "scoops" (for lack of knowing the correct term) - were they always in the correct position to take on water, or did they need to be raised/lowered?
 #851468  by FarmallBob

judgesmails wrote:Regarding the tender "scoops" (for lack of knowing the correct term) - were they always in the correct position to take on water, or did they need to be raised/lowered?
Water scoops were kept stowed above the level of the rail head to provide clearance over switches, grade crossings, bridge guard rails, etc. They were lowered only when actually scooping water, then raised again before end of the pan was reached.

Wayside markers (fixed signs and lights) were provided to indicate to the engine crew the start, mid-point and end of the pan. Also the ends of the pans were ramped to "cam home" a scoop accidentally left down.

----

Does anyone have the milepost location - or location between nearest cross roads - for the pans that existed in Churchville?

...FB
 #851774  by 48toNYP

The Churchville pans were roughly between MP 385 and 386. They were just east of Black Creek on a straightaway closely paralleled by Savage Rd (Some of it is actually Baker St., the road changes names right at the village line). A small water tower stood on the southern side of the ROW. The Newman-Riga library in Churchville has a few photos of the track pans in the local history section.
 #851777  by k9bucket

Anyone able to give me the locations of the track pans between Poughkeepsie and Albany? I know there were some in the Tivoli area (or there about) and would like to see if any artifacts of them remain. Thanks!
 #851809  by roadster

regarding the Churchville pans. A couple years ago CSX cleared the ditch along the Southside of the r.o.w. and exposed what I thought, appeared to be several concrete pedistal type bases. Now with the mention of a water tank, these must have been the foundations for the towers bents.
 #851951  by dj_paige

k9bucket wrote:Anyone able to give me the locations of the track pans between Poughkeepsie and Albany? I know there were some in the Tivoli area (or there about) and would like to see if any artifacts of them remain. Thanks!
The locations are in the book by Carpenter that I mentioned. If no one has posted this before I get home, I'll post the info tonight.
 #852108  by Benjamin Maggi

If I remember correctly, lowering and raising the pans weren't the only reason for the marking signs. The fireman also had to open the vents at the back of the tender to release the pressure that would be created from taking on thousands of gallons of water on the fly. Otherwise, the tender could "explode" with the rush of water that went up the chutes.
(now THAT would make for an interesting picture.)
 #852147  by dj_paige

According to "A Railroad Atlas of the United States in 1946" by Richard C. Carpenter, here are the New York Central track pans in New York State (MPs are approximate)

Churchville (MP 385)
Clinton Point (MP 65)
Palmyra (MP 345)
Rome (MP 250)
Schodack Landing (MP 131)
Scotia (MP 160)
Silver Creek (MP 35)
Tivoli (MP 100)
Wende (MP 423)
Westfield (MP 59)
Yosts (MP 193)