Railroad Forums 

• Track map of Ogdensburg area

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#906630  by walterconklin

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has a map that shows the layout of the trackage that use exist on the Susquehanna Hanford Branch in the Ogdensburg area and would be willing to share the map with me. I have heard of "Historic Rails of the New York, Susquehanna & Western Railroad" and I hope to get the book as soon as possible.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Walter
 #927279  by woodsie

A topographical map [from the 1940s/50s] of the area should show the track. The torn up
DL&W track from Franklin to Newton was still visible on a topo map from that era. The track
from Beaver Lake to the 'Burg was removed 10-20 years ago, I think. The NJZinc mill was serviced
by the NYS&W track leading to Franklin from the 'Burg. This was the former Hanford branch.
 #935849  by jwramc

Guys,

I'm a recent convert to NYS&W railfanning but have lived a mile north of Ogdensburg for 18 years, and the lost Hanford Branch's rails have been gone the entire time I've been here. However, I decided to see if I could figure out where those rails ran and, believe it or not, Google Maps solved the mystery! At a certain zoom level, they include property lines for many areas, and some very obvious narrow, curving property borders showed very clearly what is still considered railroad property, so I traced a red line on screen captures of their maps to create the attached map. I then drove and walked these areas and found the wood ties still exist in the locations that haven't been redeveloped, so they confirm the path I've indicated as being correct.

I hope this map helps, Walter.

John
Attachments:
Rail Map of Oburg
(386.06 KiB) Downloaded 5108 times