Railroad Forums 

• Track Laborers Travel

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1287934  by bigrob0430

Looking for some insight on different company laborer positions, CSX, BNSF, UP. I know they get per diem, hotels, but do most workers live out of state from where they are hired from? Do they care if you travel from 200 to 500 miles to a job or are you supposed to live close? I understand some work schedules you work 8 days and off 4 or 7, do they put you up in a hotel the whole work assignment? There are no local railroad jobs where I live, and I am willing to travel, but didn't know whether or not I would have to rent a closer place or sleep in my truck.
Last edited by bigrob0430 on Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1287940  by Freddy

CSX puts their track people up in hotels and you receive so much money per day for meals which is included in your check. They do the same for their signal people with the one exception being there is only 1 man per room.