Railroad Forums 

• Track Guides

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#268262  by washingtonsecondary

Today I got a copy of the NS Harrisburg Division track guide. So far I understand most of the symbols and abreviations. The one thing I'm having a little trouble with is the traffic density numbers. On the section of track I'm most intrested in it says the density to the west is 0.1 and the density going east is 0.3. I'm assuming this is 100 tons west and 300 tons going east. Is this correct? If not, what do these numbers mean?
 #273908  by scharnhorst

washingtonsecondary wrote:On the section of track I'm most intrested in it says the density to the west is 0.1 and the density going east is 0.3. I'm assuming this is 100 tons west and 300 tons going east. Is this correct? If not, what do these numbers mean?

I do beleve this to be correct being that I also have a Conrail Track Maintaince Program Book for New York State. I got to thinking that some numbers stood for track density as well.