Railroad Forums 

• Track 61

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1523407  by CRail

While it was present on Google earth a few years ago, I went looking for it with a friend and it was not there. We assume it was scrapped by the owner of the property it lived on.

Edit: Google Earth imagery from August 2013 shows it there and in the next image from 2014 it is gone.
 #1531926  by mr. mick

Boston Globe Business section article today by Jon Chesto reports that Track 61's future is subject to Litigation in court, beginning Monday (?).
 #1531929  by mr. mick

Apparently the landowners who were paid handsomely for an easement want to build a condo over the tracks which the MBTA says interferes with their Red Line car testing, etc etc. . To me it sounds like the court decision will a) determine who wins , and b) will probably be appealed, etc. Time will tell...
 #1531936  by bostontrainguy

I can't read the article. It's behind a paywall. Who exactly sold this ROW anyhow?
 #1531940  by RenegadeMonster

I'm pretty sure the part of the row that was sold was part of a yard.

The RR that owned the freight rights back in the 1980s sold the yard and created an easement for the row that passes through.

I know this was posted somewhere on these forums, I remember reading it here. I think it was in an other thread about this track.

The easement listed what type of freight that would be transported. That easement never specified passenger rail server or subway cars so the developer who owns the land sued to block it saying it would be detrimental to their development.

I believe this is the only section of the row that has been sold / is part of an easement. And it's dead center between the red line and the sea port.
 #1566985  by bostontrainguy

Really great to see that new construction in the Seaport is allowing for the eventual return of service on Track 61 whenever that occurs. Would be pretty cool to see a train coming through the outdoor cafe while sipping your latte!
 #1566993  by neman2

No Latte served there, that's a Lord Hobo beer garden patio.
That's kind of bizarre, flangeways aren't very pedestrian, wheelchair, or bicycle friendly especially after having a few Lord Hobo Boom Sauces. (7.8 ABV)
 #1567005  by bostontrainguy

neman2 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:35 pm No Latte served there, that's a Lord Hobo beer garden patio.
Hell, even better :smiley:
 #1567012  by dieciduej

Most likely with COVID and distancing Lord Hobo was able to take over that area. If a train was every to ply those rails again all the restaurants, bars and so on will be up in arms.
 #1567046  by bostontrainguy

They didn't notice the railroad track coming through their seating area?