Railroad Forums 

• Toys R Us traffic on the M&E?

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#188322  by rb

Hi, all.

I know Toys R Us is a major shipper for the M&E. I am curious about what products they receive by rail. Can someone please fill me in?

Thanks.

Rob

#188429  by james1787

If I had to guess, I would say toys? :-D

#188510  by njt4172

They get box cars.... I saw a string of about 5 of them last week! With the holiday season coming up i'm sure they will be busy...They have been known to bring 20+ cars down there!

Steve

#189967  by cjvrr

Yep, I think they are Santa's helpers too. Delivering toys to stores near you.

#190622  by Ol' Loco Guy

Disposable diapers !!!!

They cube out out well before they weight out.

Toys come from....CHINA...in containers.

#190816  by rb

That's what I figured--bulk paper/sanitary products. What toy factories are left in the US or even Mexico? Nobody ships finished consumer products by rail. I heard RCA was shipping boxcars of TVs from Mexico to the midwest, but I'm not sure if that goes on anymore.

If anyone has more specific info on the Toys R Us moves, I'd appreciate it.

#196412  by gravelyfan

rb wrote:That's what I figured--bulk paper/sanitary products. What toy factories are left in the US or even Mexico? Nobody ships finished consumer products by rail. I heard RCA was shipping boxcars of TVs from Mexico to the midwest, but I'm not sure if that goes on anymore.

If anyone has more specific info on the Toys R Us moves, I'd appreciate it.
My info is a little old (say 5+ years) but at one time Toys R Us was receiving all of those big "Little Tikes" things (like playhouses, etc.) in box cars from the factory in Ohio. Don't know if that business still exists.
 #662505  by blockline4180

Took a hike today on the old High Bridge Branch(Columbia Trail) from Long Valley to Flanders. I checked out the end of the current M&E line and the tracks were pretty rusted over...Anyone know the last time they served Toys>?? From the looks of it, it seemed to be many months. I was surprised the ties seem to be in good shape up the end of the line.
 #782501  by ns3010

The last few times I've been down Route 10, the crossing has been filled with dirt and the rails have been snow covered, which means that they haven't been up there in a while. What's up with that?
 #782635  by blockline4180

ns3010 wrote:The last few times I've been down Route 10, the crossing has been filled with dirt and the rails have been snow covered, which means that they haven't been up there in a while. What's up with that?

Probably trucking is cheaper...That is my guess... They seem to have been very sporadic over the past few years.
 #782744  by SemperFidelis

Also have to remember that Toys R Us hasn't really been doing all that well. It was only a year or two ago when they shut down a lot of their stores.
 #783631  by R36 Combine Coach

Any High Bridge Branch traffic south of NJ Route 10 recently? The tracks around downtown Flanders has also been recently overgrown as well.
 #783899  by ns3010

It seems like the last thing down there was the Toys For Tots train. And even that was over 3 months ago.
 #783912  by blockline4180

ns3010 wrote:It seems like the last thing down there was the Toys For Tots train. And even that was over 3 months ago.

Not good...Usually Target gets a car a week, but if they haven't received anything then maybe Cvitz knows.
 #784491  by cjvrr

I believe Target is temporarily shut down, possibly the economic downturn?

I don't think Toys R Us has gotten a car in 6 months or more....

Over on the Chester Branch

Holland Manufacturing continues to ship / receive as needed.

Kuiken should come on line when the economy recoops.