Railroad Forums 

• Toys R Us traffic on the M&E?

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#784795  by ns3010

Wow, that's bad. Let's hope this isn't a sign of the future of the High Bridge Branch...

As for Kuiken, I've heard multiple things. In the spring, when the economy turns, and when the rehab of the branch takes place (due for this spring). We'll see what happens.
 #785204  by RS115

I will start keeping a closer eye on it again. When I last drove by in daylight (Wednesday I think) the Kuiken site seemed to look a little bit changed, so perhaps something is starting up there.
 #787821  by ns3010

I haven't seen anything different in a while.

I'm guessing they're waiting till the track rehab takes place.
 #788151  by RS115

I think they're waiting for the economy to improve - the costs to Kuiken are in building the buildings and stocking the place.
 #788886  by mikedc3

I don't think TrU has gotten any cars in a very long time.

In 2008 and all of 09, I worked in the building by Lk Jct and got to see the MnE every day. I was expecting them to be getting a lot of box cars heading into Christmas time but they never did. Every time I noticed box cars heading toward the HB branch, I would see them later that day by the team track in Kenvil where they used to unload the bricks. I never recall seeing any box cars that did not end up in Kenvil.

Several years ago I saw 13 boxes crossing Rt 10 for TrU.
 #789039  by blockline4180

mikedc3 wrote:I don't think TrU has gotten any cars in a very long time.

In 2008 and all of 09, I worked in the building by Lk Jct and got to see the MnE every day. I was expecting them to be getting a lot of box cars heading into Christmas time but they never did. Every time I noticed box cars heading toward the HB branch, I would see them later that day by the team track in Kenvil where they used to unload the bricks. I never recall seeing any box cars that did not end up in Kenvil.

Several years ago I saw 13 boxes crossing Rt 10 for TrU.
Your probably right, but its still very sad...Anyone on here know why Toys R Us doesn't even get a box car or two by rail?? You would think they would get something, unless they stopped selling diapers.
 #789121  by SemperFidelis

Speaking as a former P&G guy (Pampers etc.) the plants don't ship by rail anymore. Maybe the folks who make Huggies (Georgia Pacific?) do.
 #789524  by R36 Combine Coach

In the past few years (2008-09) the Toys-R-Us Flanders warehouse hosted "liquidation sales" open to the public, which appeared in newspaper ads and signs. Not a good sign.
 #789538  by blockline4180

Yeah, well that is not good to hear! I guess a train hasn't served Toys since early 2008..

I'm trying to get the President of Tri-State to host a caboose hop on the High Bridge Branch(Something like the ones on the D&R), but I don't know if the track conditions are okay to handle passengers.
 #789935  by ns3010

How far down the line do the D&R ones go?

I would think the High Bridge trackage would be fine. The Toys For Tots train had a few passenger cars on it, so conditions can't be too bad...
 #791463  by airman00

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
ns3010 wrote:How far down the line do the D&R ones go?
In the most recent November trip, they went all the way to the end of the line at Polyfil.
What are those freight cars there? It appears that there is still customers nearby?
 #791484  by blockline4180

airman00 wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:
ns3010 wrote:How far down the line do the D&R ones go?
In the most recent November trip, they went all the way to the end of the line at Polyfil.
What are those freight cars there? It appears that there is still customers nearby?

The D&R still has a steady plastics customer and seems to be the busiest line of late...It was the High Bridge Branch south of Route 46 that hasn't seen any action since December.