Railroad Forums 

• Getting a job in MTA/LIRR/Metro-North

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1030505  by X5Liam

Hi Guys

I had a question, and i wanted to see what the best course would be. Alright, I'm new to the whole train world, but I've always wanted to be able to drive a train, so I guess the word for that would be the conductor. My question is, how should I go about climbing that ladder to reach to that point, to be able to drive a train. I've already been looking at job postings on the mta.info site but they require you to have some kind of experience doing something train related and since i have none I don't know where i should start. I checked out Amtrak and they had jobs available, for example Assistant Passenger Conductor Trainee, but that would require me to move to another state because they don't have any here in NYC. I figured that I could do that because they teach you how to work the trains and I'd pick up a few things and eventually would come back to NYC after awhile and be a conductor here. That would of been plan B. But I want plan A for me to find something here and work my way up. Any ideas?

Thanks
 #1030641  by keyboardkat

The conductor does not drive the train. On the suburban railroads, the title for that job is "Engineer." On the MTA subway, it is "Train Operator" (formerly "motorman," but since today we have members of both sexes operating trains, the "Train Operator" designation was deemed less sexist).

On the subway, the conductor operates the doors from the middle of the train. On the suburban railroads, the conductor may also operate doors, and collects fares along with the other trainmen. The conductor, however, in both cases, is the boss of the train. The engineer or train operator may not, for example, start a train without a signal from the conductor.
 #1030662  by DutchRailnut

The conductor is not the boss, he is in charge. Both Engineer and Conductor share responciblity as per rules.
Even as Engineer I am a certified passenger conductor, yet conductors are not required by law, only by labor contract.
so what does in charge mean, he is final call and can assign who goes where (trainman) and he is in charge of the buzzer ;-)
He can jump as high as he wants, Its Engineers call to move train yes or no, no matter how many times that buzzer sounds.
Last edited by DutchRailnut on Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1030693  by RearOfSignal

DutchRailnut wrote:The conductor is not the boss, he is in charge. Both Engineer and Conductor share respociblity as per rules.
Even as Engineer I am a certyified passenger conductor, yet conductors are not required by law, only by labor contract.
so what does in charge mean, he is final call and can assign who goes where (trainman) and he is in charge of the buzzer ;-)
he can jump as high as he wants, Its Engineers call to move train yes or no, no matter how many times that buzzer sounds.
I think you just contradicted your signature?

...and for the sake of avoiding another craft war just ignore Dutch. Hopefully everyone else will also show some restraint.
 #1030717  by DutchRailnut

RearOfSignal wrote: I think you just contradicted your signature?

...and for the sake of avoiding another craft war just ignore Dutch. Hopefully everyone else will also show some restraint.

Again, even with two buzzers you can't make me go...
and you are not my supervisor as per MNCR timetable, despite you being in charge ;-)
 #1030728  by NJT TT9801

DutchRailnut wrote:

and you are not my supervisor as per MNCR timetable, despite you being in charge ;-)
That's right. Stand your ground!!!
 #1030798  by RearOfSignal

DutchRailnut wrote:

Did I mention buzzers anywhere? Or being a supervisor? Or making any engineer do anything? Why don't you give some positive advice for someone looking to join your craft?

To the OP, just get your foot in the door anyway you can. You can start as a custodian and work your way up to engineer. Along the way you might find something else. I applied and passed test for engineer and decided to stay conductor.