Railroad Forums 

• Brightline (All Aboard Florida) Orlando - Miami FL FEC fka Virgin Rail

• This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
    Websites: Current Brightline
    Virgin USA
    Virgin UK
This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
Websites: Current Brightline
Virgin USA
Virgin UK

Moderator: CRail

#1617182  by Gilbert B Norman

Once again, let me reiterate my thoughts, after six Brightline journeys this year - all for transportation - that Brightline is European rail travel - USA.

There is about as much "experiential" about Brightline as there is with an airline flight in Coach. Scenery, nonexistent unless you enjoy looking at shopping malls or the drunks at the trackside bars in Delray and Lauderdale (ROW is fenced, but hope one of them doesn't try to be Tarzan and climb such).

Brightline assumes that 90% of their passengers have been on a commercial flight and that 60% have been overseas, for they have modeled their product after what one will find on either.

So, I'm becoming a "Brightline Believer" - even if I cannot foresee such "making it" in the private sector.

I'm starting to hold same as does the ensemble Journey (nevermind that years after the
"blackout conclusion"
, David Chase, creator of Sopranos, acknowledged Tony did get whacked).
 #1617235  by Gilbert B Norman

John, I don't know how often you "go down", but take it from one who first "went down" during '56 and has been "down" every year, save '21; wonder why?" since '82, the scenery God put anywhere in the peninsula is simply "ZERO", and maybe a rolling hill somewhere in the panhandle (Briton Hill, Elev 345ft, is Florida's highest point).

Again, and take this from one who has had now some dozen Brightline journeys to date, there is nothing experiential whatever (maybe if one can find something experiential from a flight in Coach) - and Brightline has no intention of marketing their product for such.

Henry Flagler was a great promoter (con-man?). He would have had the unwary believing that there was crashing surf to be seen along his route, much as there is along the SP South of Oxnard (Amtrak Coast Starlight) and on the ATSF LA-San Diego (Amtrak Surfliners), and that the Dade County Courthouse in Miami was his station there.

FEC Miami station and Court House
 #1617862  by Jeff Smith

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/new ... 985598007/
Brightline to Orlando: 130-mph speed tests, opening date, ticket prices and safety updates
This month, Brightline officially became the fastest train in Florida.

During recent testing, trains reached speeds of 130 mph along its new 35-mile rail corridor between Orlando International Airport and Cocoa.

Once carrying passengers, Brightline trains will travel at maximum speeds of 125 mph which is more than 2 miles per minute.

Brightline's newly installed tracks along that 35-mile stretch will become the fastest-speed segment of the company's passenger-service expansion linking Orlando with South Florida. Projected maximum speed range:

125 mph: Orlando International Airport to Cocoa.
110 mph: Cocoa to West Palm Beach.
79 mph: West Palm Beach to Miami.
 #1618088  by markhb

So, at those speeds roughly 90 minutes from West Palm to Orlando assuming no stops along the way. Considering Google Maps is telling me it's a 2-hour drive just from Cocoa to West Palm, that's pretty snazzy.
 #1618368  by Jeff Smith

Brevard High Speed Testing: https://www.wesh.com/amp/article/bright ... y/43352838
Brightline to conduct high-speed testing in Brevard County

Orlando will soon be connected with South Florida by Brightline’s high-speed rail. But there’s still work to be done. In Brevard County, a 13-mile stretch of track will be part of a Brightline speed testing at more than 100 mph.
The speed testing will start on March 28 and continue through April from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Six crossings will be impacted in Rockledge:

Rinker Way:

Cemex/General Portland (private crossing)
Gus Hipp Road
Barnes Boulevard (SR 502)
Carver Street
Ansin Road
Viera Boulevard
And four crossings in the Melbourne area:

Suntree Boulevard
Post Road
Parkway Avenue
Lake Washington Road