Railroad Forums 

• special agent k9 position BNSF

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1021414  by bar66436

I know lots of questions regarding the hiring have been asked, but I'm going to do this anyways. I have a bachelors degree in Criminal Justice and I'm a state certified law enforcement officer. I also have explosive training in my background but not extensive. I have applied for a special agent / K9 position, along with a railcar repair and police dispatcher. My question is and I hoping someone from a HR reads this also. Do alot of LEO's apply for the special agent position? Or is this such a specialized position that there is not much competion? If one was to get a SA job could they live 35 miles from the yard or is there a response time requirement.

The next question is that I have been sent the first online test to take for the railcar as that position ended at the end of January the SA position ended on 20th of this month. Should I wait out for the SA position or take a railcar one if it is offered. Trying to figure out how to exactly handle the situation or should I email HR? And if contacting HR would that hurt me in the hiring process?

Sorry guys i'm new to the whole process of railroad's and testing.
 #1021606  by jz441

bar66436 wrote: The next question is that I have been sent the first online test to take for the railcar as that position ended at the end of January the SA position ended on 20th of this month. Should I wait out for the SA position or take a railcar one if it is offered.
You have much higher chances of getting hired as a carman then SA. BNSF likes to hire someone with military police experience or former cops. If you get in as a carman, you can eventually work your way to SA position.
bar66436 wrote: Trying to figure out how to exactly handle the situation or should I email HR? And if contacting HR would that hurt me in the hiring process?
It shouldn't hurt you, but don't expect anyone to respond back.
 #1021619  by bar66436

. I have a bachelors degree in Criminal Justice and I'm a state certified law enforcement officer. I also have explosive training in my background but not extensive

So having law enforcement experience won't help me with that sa position?
 #1021621  by Freddy

bar66436 wrote:. I have a bachelors degree in Criminal Justice and I'm a state certified law enforcement officer. I also have explosive training in my background but not extensive

So having law enforcement experience won't help me with that sa position?
YES it will help you. Some SAs I saw on CSX weren't former police.
 #1021920  by bar66436

How long does the average hiring process take for the railroad? Do specialized positions like the sa hire quicker since I'm guessing not as many people apply for them. Are the anticipated start dated usually correct?